What's new

Villians..... Why always English? (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Umh, guys, we're just joking. It was over 200 hundred years ago, do you think anyone cares that much? As for the Constitution/Declaration stuff, again, its just jokes, no one believes that making fun of the British is actually going to be in those documents.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Huh, well... All the bad guys in the WWF are American. And what about James Bond? They were mostly Russians. Same with Rocky 4.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
This thread reminds me of the furore in England over Mel Gibson and two of his films "Braveheart" and "The Patriot", where the English were portrayed as being particularly despicably evil and cruel, while the Scots and Americans were sweet and lovable (ok a slight exaggaration), the newspapers really had a go at Mel, wondering if he had an agenda against the English, watching both films I was hissing and spitting whenever the English appeared on screen, aah the power of the movies.:D
Nice one Mel.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Ok to put this back on track a bit. There seems to be a typical thread in American movies. The bad guy is always smart, well cultured, etc, while the hero is a muscle bound, stupid stereotypical American who probably played football in high school. The villan is ALWAYS smarter than the hero, but the hero always wins because of his old fashioned American grit, or whatever you want to call it.

Since The English fit the traits needed for a villain (to the average American anyway, which is an important point), presto, they're always English. I've actually read several articles on this (about how the villain is always smarter than the hero, they had nothing to do with villains being English). For the life of me can't remember what publications they were from, if I remember them I'll edit the post.

Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks