What's new

Vifa Drivers (1 Viewer)

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
opinions?
confused.gif

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
Which ones? In general, they seem well regarded. Check out the discussion forum on Madisound.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just bear in mind, if you want the cross the vifa tweeters low, you'll need to stay away from 2000Hz, and start crossing them over around 2500Hz-4000Hz. Many other tweeters (Seas, OWI, Morel, etc) offers more flexibility in crossing them low, around 2000Hz or even a little lower.
The Vifa midranges (P13, PL14) are considered very good, and their larger 7" bass drivers (M18, PL18) are as well.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have two different pairs of ACI speakers which both use Vifa drivers. The Opals, which are two-way towers using a 1" tweeter and 8" driver, have a crossover @ 2300Hz. The Emeralds, which are two-way bookshelves using a shielded 1" tweeter and a shielded 5.25" driver, have a crossover @ 2700Hz. I do know the Emeralds use the M13SG mid and the D27SG tweeter.
While both speakers are excellent for the money (especially if you build the kits) I prefer the Emeralds with their better midrange clarity.
I also know that many midrange priced speakers ($2K+) use Vifa drivers.
Brian
------------------

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the speakers I have built used Vifa 6.5" and the fabric tweeter(I find metal too bright). They're very smooth with few peaks or dips in their response. Just look at past issues of Speaker Builder and you'll find more Vifa projects than any other. They are also lower priced than most cast frame speakers($38-60).

Matt Tucker

Agent
Real Name
Matt Tucker
I used a Vifa D25AG-35 aluminum dome tweeter in my two way main speakers. The D25AG-35 has a Fs of 850HZ due to its extended rear chamber. They can be crossed over at 2KHz with out worries. I like the sound of them. I have heard some harsh sounding metal domes in the past, but I find these tweeters tame. I would have used a vifa woofer, but I wanted a sealed speaker and the Vifas work much better ported.
Matt
------------------
Link Removed
DVD list

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Matt. I just finished a Vifa 2 way(Rick Craig's design) using the D25. I was also afraid it would be too harsh, but it sounds excellent. The nice thing about the Rick's design is you can swap out the D25 for the D27(soft dome) without any xover component changes. But, I've also heard that some of the D27's have some problems.
BTW, you can pick up the D25 at apexjr.com for $17.95, pretty good price.
foto_d25ag-35.jpg

------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
IIRC I think the problem with the D27s was that they were spec'd at Fs=650Hz, but they measured well above that spec, and the variance between the early production units, and the current ones was not desirable (you'll see people refer to having "the early ones in some of the project write-ups). Just means you have to individual measure the D27 more closely and make sure the pair you use spec out close to one another.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; DIY Mains ; DIY CC ; Sunosub I + II + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'm very fond of the D27's (both shielded and non) in my two sets of speakers that use them. They may not perform as well as the Scan-Speak tweeters that run $100-$200, but considering the D27's are roughly 1/4-1/8 the price they do quite well!
Brian
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks