What's new

Views on Forgiveness (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
For me personally: Forgive anything, but Forget nothing.

I've found I can forgive almost any hardship over time, but I won't put myself in the danger zone on a whim with that person again. Sure, the trust might return and everything goes back to as good (or better) than before, but that's not my expectation. The forgiving just resets the negative feelings and we go back to zero.

Like my wife and I had good friends that decided to move and effectively cut all their old friends off (didn't give address, phone #, never call or return calls.) It was shocking for us as we had basically just moved to Denver and they were by far our best friends in the area. We moved on with our lives, got a house, had kids, made new close friends.

Then they came back a few years later and wanted to be friends again. We said ok, but we're not bosom buddies anymore. We'll see them at functions and go to kids' B-day parties and what not, but that's about as far as we'll go (now at least.) We have forgiven them (hold no ill will), but having been burnt so badly once we won't get near that fire again.

Ah well, personal actions do have consequences. I live by that, I don't see why others shouldn't have to be held to it.

PS - Chris, that was rough man. Glad you made it (and made peace with it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks