What's new

Viewing Subtitles on Widescreen Display (1 Viewer)

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
My Pioneer Elite 60" 4:3 set is ready to retire. I watch a lot of subbed dramas on it that are in 4:3.

If I was to buy a 60" 16:9 Widescreen would the subs be the same size or smaller? For some this is more than likely a dumb question but my eyes aren't what they used to be! I have zero experience with 16:9 sets and none of my friends have one.

Some background info: Won't use the set for games...watch more 4:3 material (at this point in time) then 16:9.

Was thinking about getting a 65" or 73" 16:9 widescreen mitsubishi rear projection. I would like to hear from you guys with big screens 16:9 on how subs look...are they easy to read. I assume there are black bars on the left and right while you are watching 4:3. In my case I would like to have larger subs then what I had on my 60" Pioneer.

Since my main need is reading subs should I just get a 4:3 big screen if I can still find one out there. Any help/recommendations appreciated. Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

From DVD ... the subtitles are electronically generated by the player so they don't change in size.

The odd film has hard subtitles as part of the film print itself.

Captioning is provided electronically by the tv and overlayed on the image and also should not change size.

regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll sure be curious as to how that works out for you. I have so much 4:3 stuff, I chickened out, and also got a 60" 4:3 with a native widescreen mode. I can see anyway comming from a 60" 4:3 that your not going to downsize your 4:3 stuff some though. I think only a 73" will keep it about the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks