What's new

Viewing STAR WARS digitally and Ticket Information (1 Viewer)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Does anyone know of a link to a list of locations where Episode II will be shown digitally? (i.e. in a DLP theater or something similar?)

A friend on another forum posted a list of DLP theaters, and there were NONE in Northern California. I can't believe that Lucas wouldn't show his digital baby in his own backyard (the entire Lucasfilm empire is based in Marin County.)

Anyway, no big deal if its not available locally, a film-based THX theater is fine by me. If there is a showing locally, though, I'd sure like to find out about it.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
blast!!!!

amc barrington 30 is lightyears away from chicago. damn!!! how can i get there???!!! no car, no nothing!!!

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Anyone from around the Philadelphia area making the trek to Jersey to see this film digitally?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
^^^ Are these the only theaters which will be showing it digitally or is it just a directory of Texas Instruments/DLP Cinemas? In other words, maybe there are other brands of equipment in other theaters.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
When Lucas showed episode-I digitally, I recall that there were two different types of theaters to watch it in... one with a TI DLP projector, and one with some other type of digital projector. I can't remember what it was though. DILA, maybe? Anyway, maybe there are other theaters that have some non-DLP digital projectors? Not sure. Anyone know?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Sony and Panavision made the digital cameras. But as far as I know, only TI has made the actual digital projectors.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I'm also curious about what the medium is that a digital showing of ep.2 will use? Will the movie (it's no longer a "film" ;) ) be stored on several DVD's, a hard disk drive, some sort of ROM chip pack (seems unlikely)... ?
The movie is about 135 minutes long, or 8100 seconds. At say, a generous 20mbit/sec HD data rate, that would be 20,250 MB, or 19.8 GB. It MIGHT fit on 2 dual layered DVDs, but probably 5 layers total would be required...
Then there's always digital tape. This is probably the most likely source.
Anyone know what will be used, and what sort of source player is used?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The movie is about 135 minutes long, or 8100 seconds. At say, a generous 20mbit/sec HD data rate, that would be 20,250 MB, or 19.8 GB. It MIGHT fit on 2 dual layered DVDs, but probably 5 layers total would be required...
So we may have to put up with an annoying layer change when we see it in the theater.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I was only mentioning the dvd layer stuff as conjecture. Most likely it will be on tape. Even simple D-VHS has enough capacity for a 2+ hour HD-res movie with 5.1 sound.
Besides, even if it were stored on disc, I'm sure they'd have the layer and disc changes all worked out. :)

Jim J

Second Unit
Kieran

(hey Bud!)

I think it may have been 2 different sound formats, as oppossed to 2 projection types. I know I saw 2 times and *something* was different

I seem to recall one was 6 channel *uncompressed* PCM

JJ

Gruson

Second Unit
I just wanted to let you guys know I saw the Clone War digital trailer at a theater and it was AWESOME. It is like comparing the picture from 1080i HDTV to 480p DVD. I cannot wait :)
I already have my tickets to see Star Wars at the digital theater (Cinemark Legacy) here in Dallas, TX. It is a charity event and the tickets were expensive but hey, I get to see it digital and 3 days early :)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Hey JJ! :)
I could swear that there were two different projection systems used when ep.1 was shown digitally. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall.
That's the first I've heard of any movie being played with uncompressed 5.1 pcm. That would take a shitload of disc space. That's ~3.6 GB of data JUST for the audio for a 120 minute movie (~530kB/s). That's nearly an entire layer of a dvd just for audio. They could do it though... just like DTS is played from a CD with an optical timing cue from the film, they could do the same except use a dvd-a disc. It would be pretty cool... :D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
From what I understand, many current digital presentations use DVD-ROM as the source, not a standard DVD. There would be no issue of "layer change" or anything else like we see on consumer DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks