Viewing Distance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Lehner, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

I'm new here, so I apologize if this is discussed to death. I'm wondering what size set would work best in my room. I've pretty much dialed-in on a Mits 55411, but I mentioned to the salesguy that I was looking at about 9' viewing distance and he questioned whether a 55" set would be too big. Now, my room is 18' in length; so I take the approx. 3' from the forward wall the set will eat up and my proposed seating position and that brings me to about 9'. He suggested maybe a 48" and that's not a bad size set but I don't want to step down to a 311 (no quad-feild focus) and I don't want to pay for a 511 when I don't really need a built-in tuner right now. If I needed to, I could get 14'. What's really ideal on this 55" set?

Thanks,
    CDL

2. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

55" too big at 9'? nah, I dont think so. I have a 51" and I sit 7.5' from it. Initially I thought it would be a tad too big but now I really wish I went for the 57"!

Its all a matter of personal preference really. Plus remember that once you get used to the TV it will appear to "shrink". The 51" used to seem so mammoth as I upgraded from a 32", but now that I'm used to it, the size feels "normal".

Just my 2 cents.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It is not too big. At 55", the absolute closest I would sit is 6ft away.

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Since you have the option of moving up to 14' away there's not any risk, go ahead and get the 55". I'm about 10.5', eyeball to screen, from my 56" widescreen and the picture is fine.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Just plug it in yourself:
    THX and SMPTE viewing distance calculator
    According to THX, for a 16:9 format 55" diagonal screen, you should be no more than 6.3' away, optimally, or 8.8' away at the absolute max. [​IMG]
    Of course, standards mean very little compared with your own comfort levels and preferences.