Viewing Digital Pictures on Pocket PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMC, Oct 10, 2002.

1. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of buying a digital camera. I currently have an iPAQ pocket pc that has a secure digital memory slot built in for extra memory or programs. If I buy a digital camera with the same memory, can I view the pictures on my pocket pc straight from the memory card?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Definitely. Provided that you have the necessary imaging software on your iPAQ. Personally, I only use CF memory since it seems to have the most widespread support. But SDM and memory sticks all work the same...

3. JasonMC

What type of software is needed? I was at a camera store and took some pictures using a digital camera. I then took out it's memory, put it in my iPAQ and the iPAQ said that it had to format the card before use. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

4. JasonMC

anybody experience this?

5. JasonMC

bump

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I suppose its possible that the camera you tried uses its own formatting of the card, that will make it impossible for the ipaq to read it...
    The camera I have done this with, a Canon with Compactflash memory, used the same file system as the PC (and PocketPC) does, so I just popped the CF card in and watched the pictures.
    The built-in Pocket Internet Explorer will show the images but slowly and with poor formatting/zooming capabilities. If you do get it to work and want a really good image viewing program, I can wholeheartedly recommend Resco Picture Viewer. It's fast, has great zoom choices, full screen viewing and tons of other options.
    http://www.resco-net.com/picview.asp
    One thing you might want to try (with permission by the people in the camera store...) is to format the SD card on the iPaq and then see if the camera can use it. I sometimes get the same "Should I format this card?" question for my own CF card - but I just reset the machine and then it works fine again for months. I don't format the card of course as there is really nothing wrong with it... but it may be that formatting the SD card in the iPaq will make it more easily readable in case the formatting done by the camera is just slightly out of whack somehow. Long shot, I know.

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Look around for a program called Acid Image. I believe they make a PocketPC version.