Viewed A.I. last night - Haley Osment is incredible!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dana Rodakis, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Dana Rodakis

Dana Rodakis Extra

He is an incredible young actor. I still think he should have received the best supporting Oscar from Sixth Sense. A.I. was completely passed-over in this year's Oscars.
    He recently starred in a film set during World War II that was shot in Poland titled "Edges of the Lord." Here is a link to the details on IMDB. Another great performance in a powerful drama.
    It has not been released theatrically but is available on a region 0 DVD. Here is the link to order it:
    Edges of the Lord. The film is in full screen with english DD5.1. Pretty nice transfer. The menus are in French and Portugese.
    Enjoy.

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

To me, there are few things more annoying than a bad child actor.

So when someone like young Mr. Osment shows up, it's like a breath of fresh air. I agree with you 100%!

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    He is indeed an astonishingly accomplished actor, and while I wouldn't necessarily say that he was the best among his competitors in 1999, I think he did give a preformance equal to anything Will Smith, Denzel Washington or Sean Penn gave, if not better. AI is along with Royal Tennenbaums the most looked over film this year, I have to wonder if AI would have benefited from the same boost Moulin Rouge got from being released at the end of the year. Think about it, both films made about the same box office take, both inspired virulent love it or hate it attitudes, and both were released in early to mid summer, a long time ago to mixed critical reaction. Moulin Rouge was released to dvd in december and got a big oscar push and recieved eight nominations, AI got no push and no dvd release and got two nominations, seems to me likie AI could have done much better.

about royal tennenbaums, I think that this film, much like o brother where art thou, would have benefited from a release in the early 20002 to buiild an audience. does anyone doubt that if o brother were eleigilbe this year, that it would have original song wrapped up as well as many nominations, it builit an audience over the past year, and a huge audiendce at that. look at the grammys.

ADam

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I've been told that if you pay close attention to A.I., you'll notice that Haley Joel Osment never blinks throughout the whole film.

That "Edges of the Lord" film looks interesting... I'll see if I can order it.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I also loved Osment in AI...and loved AI for that matter, it's definitely one of the best films of the year.

6. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

7. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

And have you seen the interviews with Osmet? The kid is a total pro! I swear it's scary how composed and adult he seems in interviews. I noticed this when he was doing press following his Oscar nom. for Sixth Sense- he comes across like he's been in the business for twenty years or something. He was definitely robbed for a Best Actor nomination this year. I would switch out Will Smith and Sean Penn for Osmet and John Cameron Mitchell if I was Lord God King of the Universe.

8. BrandonF

BrandonF Auditioning

Well, this is actually my first post here, and I don't want to step on any toes, but am I the only one who is more than a little bit creeped out by that kid?

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Osment's amazing performance is yet one more overlooked aspect of this brilliant film. But people will come around and due credit will be given... it's already starting to happen! [​IMG]

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Just the scene where Monica "imprints" David was worth the price of admission alone. Now, normally, I wouldn't really pay attention to a film (as in, make a point to go see it if such and such a person were in it) if it starred a child actor. Osment is so far, my only exception. I will follow his progress and watch his films.

Bruce

12. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Let's hope young Mr. Osment does not succumb to the pressures and dangers many child actors went through (most unsuccessfully) as they grew older. I would like to be watching more films of this talented actor in the future.

8^B

13. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

The fact that he does not blink once through out the entire movie, is confirmed by himself in the interviews with him on A.I. disc 2. I believe it's in the segment about David.

14. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Haley was amazing in AI. I am one of those odd ducks that loved the film. I don't find it without flaw, but I do find it brilliant. I can't wait to see Haley in the future. In a way it's unfortunate he can't be young forever. We'll have lost a lot when he can no longer perform in child roles. However it will be wonderful to watch his talent progress through adult roles.

15. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

When I first saw this at the theatre, I was most knocked out by Jude Law's performance. The movie seemed to come alive the most when he was onscreen. I thought Osment was good, but I took it for granted.

However, the more I think about, he really was spectacular. It would have been really easy for a cute kid actor to play this robot kid as just a cute little kid. But what Osment did was really show the "creepiness" of the robot in addition to the cute exterior. It made it that more believable and understanding when the family abandoned him. If he hadn't got that tone right, the whole second act wouldn't have worked at all.

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Folks, this really has nothing to do with software. I'm moving it to movies, but I must chime in and agree, I think Osment is an absolute genius. I was genuinely upset how his performance in the film was snubbed by most, if not all, awards this year.

Dan

17. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

18. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I was afraid this thread would turn into a bash-fest because Osment is so young. I'm glad that people see this kid as the wonderful performer he is. I almost screamed when I read Jeffrey Wells' article on reel.com (about halfway down):
    http://reel.com/reel.asp?node=movien...l&pageid=19884
    I like this guy a little less each time he posts. Has he even seen the Sixth Sense? He makes one bad movie that everyone acknowledged as being bad and he posts this. De Niro made Rocky & Bullwinkle, should he retire also? FWIW, Roger Ebert said that Osment is one of the best actors working today. Not child actors or young actors, just actor, period.
    I'm picking up A.I. tonight, so I haven't seen it yet.

19. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

The scene where he is inprinted is great, but it was the scene where the mother leaves him in the woods that really got me. I only saw it one time in the theater, but I remember that scene just flooring me. Haley's incredible in that scene. I remember hearing that the actress playing the mother (sorry can't remember her name) got grief from women who had seen the movie about leaving the kid. Normally I'd say to such people, "Hey, it's just a movie!" However in this case I kind of understand it. That scene is so intense. Very powerful.

I already went out and purchased the DVD today. I can't wait to see it again.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I just saw this a few days ago and am surprised he didn't get an oscar nom. He should have.

While I liked most of the movie, the ending seemed to drag (I know its important, but I think the movie ended at least half an hour earlier than its running time). Even so, Osment was amazing. He is able to do EVERYTHING and since he plays a child (in one way or another) in this movie, he was able to show that.

He needs to get another oscar calibre role so he can finally win what he deserves.