Viewable Size

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Anthony_J, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I was over at a friend's house the other night and noticed that his Mits 55" seemed noticeably bigger than my Panny 53". When I got home, I did a quick measurement of my TV and found that my viewable screen size is approximately 51".

I didn't have a tape measure and could only estimate the size. Can someone with the same set (53WX53) please confirm for me or let me know if I'm on crack? Also, is it standard practice across all brands to give screen size including an unviewable portion of the screen, or would a 51" Sony or 55" Mits actually have a viewable screen size as listed?

This makes me think that I didn't get as good a deal as I thought because I should have been cross shopping the 53" Panny against other brands' 51" sets, or used the 56" Panny as a basis to measure against other 53"-55" sets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

Get a tape measure, I would be shocked if it was under 52" on a set listed as 53".

Do it with source ont he screen....
    Make sure, you giving it proper 16:9 input in native mode too for the measurement.

I have seen some be a tad less, never more than an inch though, and seldom even that much.

At least Philips gave me a full 60"....

3. Anthony_J

I didn't measure an image, I measured the actual viewable screen size. I'm sure that the measurement method could have caused some of the variance. Since I don't have a tape measure or even a ruler in my apartment, I pulled a roll of 4 paper towels that were 13" long each.

Theoretically, my screen size should have been about 1" larger than 4 paper towels.

I'll head off the responses I know I'll get and say that after work today I'll go to Home Depot and get a tape measure. [​IMG]

Thanks.

4. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Did you calibrate the paper towels before you made your measurements?[​IMG]

5. Anthony_J

While I realize that it may have been a huge faux pas, I was counting on the stringent quality control and ISO 9004/Six Sigma manufacturing capabilities of the Scott towel corporation to ensure the validity of my measurements.