View HD Formats on specific channels?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RandyLew, Oct 30, 2003.

1. RandyLew

RandyLew Auditioning

Weird question, but I have the KV36 Sony, and I was wondering is there a way to view the HD format being transmitted on different channels..ie, 720p for ABC, maybe something in the Sevice mode..(kinda new to this)

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Is your TV HD capable? If not ... you need a STB to downconvert the signals to S-video for you to watch the HD material.

Regards

3. RandyLew

RandyLew Auditioning

Thanks Michael, but yes it is an HDTV, I get the HD content, but I see people discussing on this forum about different formats (720p, 1080i) and I was wondering how do I know the difference? Is there some kind of indicator? Thanks..

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Some HD-receiver STBs will provide an indicator of what is being received, usually by hitting a "display" or "info" key. Not all though. Right now ABC & ESPN are 720p, everyone else is 1080i. Fox will be 720p when they start HD. In some markets though the local affiliate may have purchased 1080i equipment & convert 720p from the network into 1080i before they broadcast it.

Also on your direct view set any 720p would be converted to 1080i before display anyway.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. RandyLew

RandyLew Auditioning

Thanks guys! I have the 3250 Scientific Atlanta HD revceiver from TWC, don't think it displays it, but I will give it a try..I guess if it converts it anyway it may not matter..Thanks again..