Vienna Acoustics

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Frank_Kobayashi, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Frank_Kobayashi

Frank_Kobayashi Auditioning

Hello, I am looking in to upgrading my sound system. I know
    that speaker preference is like shoes. Many are very good, it just depends on how it fits you, but I would still like advice since I have only had Bose speakers since I was a kid. (Dad's preference)

my equipment:
    A/V Denon 3803
    DVD Denon 1815
    TV Pioneer Plasma 50" HDTV
    Speakers: in the market

* I mostly watch DVD's (no STB) since I hate going to the movie theater and listen to other people comment on the movie or talk to their friends.

I would like advice regarding the Vienna Acoustics - Bach.
    They sounded good when I was at tweeter, but I was wondering what some of you thought about this product.

If I do buy the Bachs, then, I will get the Maestro as my center channel. Again, what do you think?

Does the surround HAVE to be Vienna Acoustics too? Can I use a different brand for these?

2. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Those Viennas sure are nice speakers. The only thing I have heard about them is that they are very musical. Since you stated you watch DVDs mostly you could probably find something a little less expensive to suit your needs. If that is of any concern anyway.

I personally would try to match your surrounds if you can. It is not as critical as matching the front 3 though.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I think matching your surrounds is a personal preference kind of thing. I have Definitives up front with Klipsch and Polk RTi's in the back(7.1). As far as Vienna's go, I heard a pair of them(can't remember which model) when I was shopping for my Def Techs and they sounded awesome. They were out of my price range at the time. Also, it seemed like they liked a LOT of power. If it's possible, see if they can be hoked up to your same model of receiver for demo. That is if you haven't already done that.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Vienna bach's are excellent speakers. They look beautiful and I believe are handmade. We auditioned them when upgrading our mains. For the music we listen to, jazz, funk, rock, metal and classical they did not have the punch we wanted. For classical and soft jazz they were excellent. Like a previous poster said they do require a bit more power than some speakers. I would not get them if it is fo mostly HT. They sound great but again I wanted more punch. The new Boston vr3's had the punch we wanted plus they were about 300$ less. Really compare them well with other speakers there before you make your decision as a lot of great fronts can be had for 1500$ Good luck.

5. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

I would agree-Bach is a great sounding speaker,but to get a rich room filling full sound from VA I think you would have to go Beethoven,which is up there cost wise.But the bach is definately an easy speaker to fall in love with

6. Frank_Kobayashi

Thanks everyone.

well I am still in the market. If you have any suggestions for a brand, I would appreciate it. I budgeted about $3000-$3500 for all the speakers: center, front, rear etc.

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Polk Audio Lsi Series!! 15's for mains, Fx's for surround Lsi Center. Add a pair of 7's if you are into 7.1, but you'll have to increase your budget to do so.

8. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

In your budget range there are many good speaker systems to listen to, including the Vienna's. Before you go off on your search, consider all factors not just budget. In my case, I had a similar budget but was also limited by size/weight of the center channel and that the surrounds had to be wall mounted. I spent over a year listening to various brands and whenever I found something I liked, I made sure to arrange an in-home demo. Along the way, I discovered that I prefered monopoles over bipoles or dipoles for the surrounds. During the course of the year, in my home I listened to Paradigm's, Boston Acoustics, RBH, Snell, PSB's, Onix Rockets, and ACI's. SOme sounded good inmy home other's were lacking. In the end the ones that fit all my criteria and were the best sounding (IMO) were ACI Sapphires for the front, a Protege Center and On-Wall Emeralds' for the surround and rear surrounds.

9. Frank_Kobayashi

Hi everyone

thanks for all advice.
    I bought the Vienna today!
    the bach for as my front and the maestro as the center.
    all three pieces for $1400, pretty good deal, huh!?

so here is the low down: the sound is awesome with.
    the first thing I put in was Gladiator in DTS. Everything was so clear and it wasn't imposing at all. The sound was immersive rather than pointed. Then the sound of music. Julie Andrews sounded excellent. All the intonations were there, and distinguishable.

Some of its weakness, well you will need a subwoofer, because it doesn't have the deeper range. It goes pretty deep, but if you like a lot of bass, then...
    Also, the Bachs need better stands, all it has are spikes and they are not good for the woodenfloor. they did gave me some rubber pads to put underneath. But, I wish they gave me something better. Anyway, gots to go. If you have any questions or advice for these Vienna Acoustics,then please post. I could use some tweaking advice.

my next step is to look for the surrounds. But, for now I will just enjoy my new speakers.