What's new

Vidity Specs Announced (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

I'm still not sure of the point of this, and that's not to say I can't be convinced of it. I thought all of this is what UV was supposed to be?

I'm a young guy who is as technically adapt as any, but it's coming to the point where all of these digital initiatives feel like solutions trying to find problems...

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/new-enabling-technology-expected-give-boost-4k-ultra-hd-movie-ownership-36531

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tks-take/vidity-should-help-studios-stem-tide-subscription-streaming

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Won't Vividy be a part of UV, or is that not possible because UV requires accounts?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Many of our questions are answered here:

Is this technology part of the 4K Blu-ray spec?

No. Vidity is separate from Blu-ray technology, though they can be compatible and complementary.

We are announcing Vidity’s download functionality, which allows content to be moved, stored, and played back on any Vidity-compliant device at any time, separate from any other solution or ecosystem. A Vidity title purchase comes with multiple files that can be used simultaneously on different devices along with the ability to move and copy those files.

Is Vidity also targeted to streaming services?

We are announcing Vidity’s download functionality, though it can be compatible and complementary to streaming.

Vidity titles could be Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray discs?

This is an independent studio decision, but it is possible now for studios to offer Vidity title rights with a Blu-ray disc as is done for today’s digital combo packs.

How would you share? Would you stream over Wi-Fi to a tablet or smart TV in the house?

Sharing can be done in several ways. Vidity can be played on any Vidity device without need for device activation – it’s that simple. Also, if a Vidity device is on your home LAN or stored or your home NAS, a Vidity device will be able to see and locally stream that title without the file being physically on the device playing the content back. No need for an Internet connection.

Could you copy to a USB stick, USB HDD, or direct to a laptop via USB?

Vidity content can be copied to any Vidity internal or external storage product (for example, USB, HDD, NAS, SD, MicorSD, NAND, SSD, etc).

What’s the limit on the number of copies that can be made available?

There is a minimum number of copies that are required to be made available that will be disclosed in the specifications. However, a content provider can always choose to provide more.

A tablet or smartphone could be made Vidity-compatible via a Vidity app?

Yes, a tablet or smartphone can be made compatible via a Vidity-compliant app. There are different levels of playback capabilities based on the playback device’s capabilities, which currently include SD and low-bit-rate HD, full-bit-rate 1080P, 4K UHD, and 4K UHD HDR (high dynamic range).
http://www.twice.com/news/blu-raydvd/vidity-technology-unveiled-simplify-uhd-hd-content-sharing/58378

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Vidity is intended to make consumers much more comfortable with buying and collecting 4K UHD movies, and other filmed content, knowing they will have full control of managing and moving their high-quality digital movie libraries. Movies will play on any device, at any time, without the need for an account, device activations or connection to the Internet for playback.
http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/vidity-4k-ultra-hd-specs-released-1201578440/

VIDITY has no requirement to log into accounts or connect to the Internet for playback. Compliant products will offer consumers the freedom and flexibility to store, copy, play and share downloaded digital files on a wide range of devices, such as laptop computers, mobile phones and tablets. The branded technology delivers the highest quality digital entertainment experience in the marketplace today through its 4K Ultra HD and high dynamic range (HDR) support. In addition, VIDITY is complementary to streaming entertainment platforms such as UltraViolet and others.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150826005342/en/Secure-Content-Storage-Association-SCSA-Releases-VIDITY#.Vd56mpcyNjM

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
I'm still not sure of the point of this, and that's not to say I can't be convinced of it. I thought all of this is what UV was supposed to be?

I'm a young guy who is as technically adapt as any, but it's coming to the point where all of these digital initiatives feel like solutions trying to find problems...

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/new-enabling-technology-expected-give-boost-4k-ultra-hd-movie-ownership-36531

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tks-take/vidity-should-help-studios-stem-tide-subscription-streaming
It is expected that this will work with UV. How not sure. (see my above post)

The studios want to sell their films and Television via a download to own format that can be played across devices universally and this may be what people like myself have been waiting for. (Is this the CFF we have been reading about? Sounds very much like it does) These will work on NAS home servers and a multitude of devices.

Time will tell...we shall see.

Patrick you ask what the point of this is. This to me is the whole point in a nutshell for those of us waiting to fully embrace digital purchases 100%:
“The single most significant aspect of this announcement is that for the first time, there will be a solution that will enable the highest-quality-possible content to be made available to consumers in the most robust and flexible way,” said David Huerta, GM of the SCSA. “We’re all familiar with the challenges, restrictions and limitations in today’s digital world — you buy a movie and it will only work on one system or a particular set of systems. As a result, consumers have often been confused about what can be played back, on what device, and when — and, more often than not, this content is not the latest out there, or of the highest quality. These kinds of limitations often lead to frustration limiting the potential for wide spread digital sellthrough.
“Now, due to the robust and flexible design of our system, we have a solution that can be enabled on all device platforms from set-top boxes to game consoles to 4K TVs and mobile devices — a complete solution to allow consumers to experience their purchased content across all their devices, with no need for an online account, no need for device activation and no need for an Internet connection. Once you buy the title, you have full control over that purchase. Vidity content plays on any Vidity device at any time. It’s that simple.”

Huerta noted that Vidity can be enabled to play on the kinds of devices consumers use today — and is designed to be compatible with the devices they will own in the future, as well. He likens it to the “digital combo packs” of the physical media world — when consumers buy a Vidity digital movie the package will contain multiple versions of the title that can be used on multiple devices simultaneously, from the highest-quality 4K UHD HDR to play on the living room home theater system to SD or HD on a tablet or phone.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Robert Crawford said:
I didn't see this article until today from another source, but this is huge as far as digital ownership.
I agree Robert as long as its done with the film collector in mind. Seems like all my concerns about buying digital are answered in the posted articles I mentioned above.
Feeling cautiously optimistic...

P

Patrick Donahue

I think my biggest point of confusion is - if this is some kind of hard drive that I stream titles from, how do I get movies on it? Consumers will have a hard time downloading, say, their UV collection to it if they have any kind of data cap. If I downloaded 1 title a day to not blow through a cap it would take 3 years!

Make no mistake I'm all open to whatever this system offers considering the few of you who seem excited about it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have to admit, this might do it for me.

It sounds like they're saying that you download locked content, but that content can be played on any approved device. I'm assuming you'd have to enter you account info into the device once, then any media that matches that account can be played on the device.

The drawback is if the account approver goes out of business or removes support. I'd deal with that by waiting to buy-in until someone cracks the media format. Although I wouldn't intend to crack the media, once it can be cracked then I know that I can get to it if it becomes unsupported.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Al.Anderson said:
I have to admit, this might do it for me.

It sounds like they're saying that you download locked content, but that content can be played on any approved device. I'm assuming you'd have to enter you account info into the device once, then any media that matches that account can be played on the device.

The drawback is if the account approver goes out of business or removes support. I'd deal with that by waiting to buy-in until someone cracks the media format. Although I wouldn't intend to crack the media, once it can be cracked then I know that I can get to it if it becomes unsupported.

There are no accounts, so devices don't need to be activated. As long as a device is Vidity-approved, then it's good to go until the device fails. No worrying about anybody removing support.

From above...

Vidity can be played on any Vidity device without need for device activation – it’s that simple. Also, if a Vidity device is on your home LAN or stored or your home NAS, a Vidity device will be able to see and locally stream that title without the file being physically on the device playing the content back. No need for an Internet connection.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There are no accounts, so devices don't need to be activated. ...

I don't believe that part as stated. I think they were trying to say it wouldn't need real-time internet verification. (Which is smart, because that architecture has been frequently rejected by the public.) If that were true exactly as implied, then we could trade Vidity content; which I'm sure they want to prevent.

I'm guessing it's going to be more like Netflix on Roku; I install the app and then do a one-time set-up attaching it to me. Of course, I'd love it if I was wrong; not that I want to have content that I didn't purchase, just less machinery in the way of smooth operation.

P

Patrick Donahue

I would think their would have to be accounts in some way. What would happen if your device fails or is stolen? How would you get your movies back?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
I would think their would have to be accounts in some way. What would happen if your device fails or is stolen? How would you get your movies back?
What happens if your DVD collection is "purged" by someone? Do the studios give you new copies? A:No

I'm think of this like a physical version yet its digital.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
You buy a DVD it must be played on a DVD forum approved device. If you buy a BluRay Disc, you must play your film in a BluRay disc association approved device. If you buy a Vidity file it must be played by a SCSA approved device or software.

I see similarities here...

Big question for me is how does it work with DECE? UV?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Towergrove said:
What happens if your DVD collection is "purged" by someone? Do the studios give you new copies? A:No

I'm think of this like a physical version yet its digital.

If you're right, then I'm all-in. I would be ecstatic to be able to buy a legal digital copy, put them on a server and play them anywhere in my house. I don't think this has enough market draw to be viable, but I'd be a happy camper.

To the masses, I think they'll be allowing the downloads but pushing streaming your copy.

To be honest, I haven't had time to read all the articles yet, some were blocked at work and now I'm on my way to a class - I'm just guessing based on the posts.

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
What happens if your DVD collection is "purged" by someone? Do the studios give you new copies? A: No
Yes but with current digital systems like UV or iTunes, an equipment failure wouldn't mean the loss of my entire collection.

I would simply buy a new device, sign into the account, and the studios essentially give me new copies.

Are you literally telling me that if my Western Digital Vidity device craps out I lose everything!? How is this an improvement?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
There are some unanswered questions, because on the face of it, it all looks too good to be true. No accounts, no internet and free copying from one device to another? There's gotta be a catch somewhere.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I just want my 4K movies to live in the same place as the rest of my movies, Vudu/iTunes but, have better/more download options......not sure if this does that or not?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Al.Anderson said:
If you're right, then I'm all-in. I would be ecstatic to be able to buy a legal digital copy, put them on a server and play them anywhere in my house. I don't think this has enough market draw to be viable, but I'd be a happy camper.

To the masses, I think they'll be allowing the downloads but pushing streaming your copy.

To be honest, I haven't had time to read all the articles yet, some were blocked at work and now I'm on my way to a class - I'm just guessing based on the posts.
The articles say it supports NAS and other storage devices. I hope so but Im cautiously optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks