Videp downconversion with Yamaha HTR5790

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daman, May 4, 2005.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Im not sure of this so need help/advice of you guys.
    Would the yamaha downconvert a component video signal to a composite signal?

I have a xbox connected to my player which has component out and optical out.. now my bedroom tv is a regular tv with just a composite video in.

Im not getting any signal with everything connected. The reciever however IS downconverting the S-Video signal from my PS2 to composite and is visible on the TV.

I need to use the component cable because the audio digital out from xbox is available with that. The other regular cable with composite video has only the regular red/white audio connectors. And yes all the input/options settings on the reciever seem to be correct.

Hope that question didnt become too confusing.
    Regards
    Daman

2. John S

John S Producer

I am impressed it downconverts svideo to composite, although that is fairly easy to do.

Downconverting component video is much tougher. So with your game console, if you have digital audio, you have to use component video? That just doesn't seem right.

Anybody else that games have input on this one???

3. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Not many receivers I am aware of that will downconvert component to svideo/composite. The HK 635 is the only one I know that can do it, and it will only do 480i sources (not 480p and up).

The Xbox advanced pack comes with svideo and digital outputs along with composite, you can use that instead of the hd pack. However, you need to have the HD pack if you want to play games in EDTV/HDTV.

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Oh, well that solves it then.
    Actually i had bought the xbox cable with component and digital out(the HD pack which James mentions) because i wanted to keep xbox in my main room connected to the projector. But as it turned out i had severe problem with playing games on the projector due to my susceptibility to rainbows(movies are all right- but games need continous moving of eyes across the screen).Now ill have to buy another cable with svideo and digital out
    [​IMG]
    Neverthless, thanks both of you guys, this helped clear up my doubts.

5. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I play my xbox on my projector and pc via svideo input. It sucks having to switch adapters every time when I wanted to play but not on the projector, so I found the arsenal xbox component adapter. It has digital, component, svideo, composite, and analog audio all in one. There's a switch that lets you choose component or svideo/composite so I can easily switch. It may be of some use for you.

www.arsenalgaming.com

6. Daman

Daman Second Unit

James,
    That was indeed very helpful, ill check it out, if its reasonably priced, it would be very useful to me.
    Thanks again!
    Daman