What's new

Videos released on Video 8 (8mm) (1 Viewer)

fredl

Agent
Are there any sites with lists of which movies were released on Video 8? When did production of prerecorded Video 8 tapes end? Also, were prerecorder Video 8 tapes marketed in Europe?

Thanks!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Wow. 8mm.

They died out as a consumer movie medium maybe five years ago.

For a short while Columbia House had an 8mm video club. I managed to get a few movies on Video 8 from them before they shut down. There was just no demand because 8mm VCRs barely sold anything.

I was curious about your question myself, so I just did a search for 8mm movies and I couldn't find anything. There was so much other material with 8mm film, the movie 8MM and other material that it was really difficult to find anything.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I know it was around 1992, and off the top of my head, Ghostbusters was definitely available.

Mike

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I currently own Monty Python and the Holy Grail, City Slickers, and Out for Justice on 8mm video. There were a lot more, but since the prices were comparable to VHS, which I used far more often, I only bought 8mm movies that provided a value.

I did a search on eBay and there are a lot of 8mm videos available, some apparently still in shrink-wrap.

fredl

Agent
I knew I should have waited posting this question until the auction closes. :)
British Airways still uses this system for IFE in First Class (with video-walkman).

fredl

Agent
I actually remember a salesmen here in Sweden trying to persuade my mom and dad to buy a Video 8 recorder instead of a VHS. They asked when you would be able to rent tapes, and he said soon. In retrospect it looks like they made a good call.

Did Video 8 ever try to enter the rental market in the US?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Did Video 8 ever try to enter the rental market in the US?
Perhaps in specialty areas, but not in the mainstream.

It was far too niche to go to the general public, particularly when (by my estimation) over 95% of 8mm consumer hardware were camcorders, thereby putting into the heads of the public that they're for the recording of home movies, not the playback of commercial movies. VHS players were cheaper and more abundant, so why should people bother buying an 8mm VCR?

The demise of 8mm as a consumer medium, beyond camcorders, was Beta Redux - better quality, smaller tape, hindered by no market penetration.

fredl

Agent
I can't help it but to feel for all these failed formats. I love them!
Maybe I can dubb the soundtracks to my DCC recorder. :)

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
It was an 8mm pre-recorded copy of "Innerspace" that introduced me to letterboxing. Funny how studios always seem to start off in wide screen on those formats that are purchased by those favor video quality.

Chalk that observation under "things that make you go Hmmm."

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Top Gun was available, as well.

Back in 1991, Sony had a promo deal with Circuit City--buy a Sony 8mm deck and get a 3-pack of movies. One of the three was Top Gun; I forgot the other two, but they were probably Paramount titles, too.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
A friend of mine had Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and a deck. His dad was a technophile.

Interesting thought on 8mm being Beta Redux: doesn't 8mm video use a modified version of Beta's head system? I remember reading that somewhere. It really was Beta Redux!

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I have in front of me a 8mm copy of Planes,Trains, and Automobiles.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I have several.
Dick Tracy
Cousins (Ted Danson)
The Naked Gun
Her Alibi
Another 48 hours
Bruce Springsteen Video Anthology 1978-88 sealed
Godfather III
I'd gladly trade all 6 for 2 DVDs

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have Raiders of the Lost Ark, Split Decisions and The Dirt Bike Kid. I watched these on a stereo camcorder, they are labeled "Digital Stereo" but I guess the camcorder can't play the digital tracks, the regular soundtracks are mono. I heard the standalone decks had an audio-only PCM recording option too.
(I've also got U2's Achtung Baby on DCC, but nothing to play it on!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredMediaSSI
Recent bookmarks