Videoprocessor for me: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EricRWem, Oct 12, 2005.

1. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Here's the story:

I'm wondering how much, if any, benefit/point there is me buying any processor given that my display is "only" a Sony KD34XBR960 Direct View tube.

It is ISF calibrated.

Equipment would be:

Onkyo DV-SP 1000 (I know that both the DVDO and this share the SIL-504 chip, so I know I can't really improve much here, nor could I imagine doing much better, in terms of PQ.)

HD Satellite receiver.

Any number of video game systems, new and old.

Viewing Distance: 6-8 feet, give or take.

On the table is a very generous preorder sale price on DVDO's new VP30.

I realize that the Sony 960 is considered a reference monitor, but I also know that the tube has its limitations.

Some things I know I'll need in the future will be the HDMI switching, which, a 4X1 HDMI switcher isn't that much cheaper than the price I have on the table right now.

I realize that a video processor offers a lot of nice things, customization, flexibility ,etc. etc. but my TV is going to be able to do so much. I recognize its limits.

I guess I'm just trying to balance reality and overkill vs. anything else. I need you all to be my muses.

Give it to me straight and without mercy. [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Most people do not own a video processor / scaler. In that regaurd it may be overkill.

Those that do own one, do seem to have more versitility and able to use features that are not normal for a display to offer. On that note, it seems totally logical.

I don't own, but have considered one a lot.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I have an I-Scan Pro, but I'm using it with my Sony a51 inch RPTV. For your t.v. it may not show much of a benefit. I find that tube t.v.s are really impressive with out scalers.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    ^^ Size and all, I do have a hard time imagining the XBR960's PQ being improved upon dramatically...source material's quality being a seperate issue, of course.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Eric: I am not directly familiar with this set, and I tried to pull up more details on the sony site but couldn't easily find it. however, I did not see anything about upscaling in the display, which likely would have been listed. So, I am going on the assumption that you are feeding 480p from youd DVD player to the display, which is not upscaling, and displaying 480p.

This is, in my opinion, an easy answer, but that doesn't mean that you should get a processor. Scaling up to higher resolutions done correctly is always preferred. however, if you use crappy scaling, it may not be worth it, and you can cause problems as well. High quality scaling will provide a superior image, and will resolve much more detail than the native resolution of the source itself displayed at that native encoded resolution.

Usually, people ask this question when they have a TV that already scales up to higher resolution, and then the question is much more complicated, because then we are comparing the quality of the scaling internal to the display, and that provided by an outboard scaler, or an upscaling DVD player.

In this case, you are not upscaling the image at all. So scaling upu the image is preferred, but use a quality processor, or a quality upscaling DVD player and you will get a better image. How much better, and how much that is worth to you is yet another question that I can't easily answer.

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Thanks, Chris.

The overwhelming consensus I've gotten in the past 24 hours is: Overkill, and not any appreciable difference given my display.

The Onkyo 1000, as is, upconverting to 720p or 1080i, really can't be improved upon much. Once you take that into consideration, the rest of this just falls into line, especially since the XBR960's upconverting features are solid.

So, no VP for me. [​IMG]

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Is the Onkyo 1000 upconverting? This is what is unclear. If it is, then that is correct. If it is not, and you are watching 480p, then the advice you have gotten is mistaken.

8. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Yes, it upconverts to 720p or 1080i beautifully over HDMI. I have a hard time imagining a better PQ for my DVD's than what it currently does.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

So, my assumption was wrong, and then I agree, there will be little meaningful difference if your DVD player is already upscaling. It would only be a difference in the quality of the scaling, which would be quite subtle indeed moost likely, especially on such a small screen. I mean, differences can be relatively subtle on large 8-foot screens, so then yes I think you're fine as you are, enjoy! ")

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Thanks! [​IMG]