What's new

Video system, need recommendations (1 Viewer)

DavRo

Auditioning
Real Name
David Roberts
Hello. I currently have Cat5 in some of my house and Coax in the rest. I am looking to install an AV system throughout my place myself. I would prefer not to re-wire. I would like some recommendations on what what my options are for DIY.

I have 6 TVs, and I am planning to add more in the future, so an expandable system would be great. I am trying to keep the cost of the system to less than $2k. I am mainly interested in setting up a video system right now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
David-
I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to put all of your video in one place and distribute it? For instance all cable boxes in one closet and use your existing wiring to push it out to those TVs? A matrix switched video system allowing you to pool a small number of video devices to all TVs is very expensive. I think your best bet is to put a cable or satellite box next to every TV using your existing coax. If you don't have coax behind some TVs some cable and satellite companies have wireless receivers, and most newer boxes are small enough that you can velcro to the back of your TV and keep them out of sight.

If you want to do some video switching there are adapter boxes that allow you to use cat 5 cables for either analog (component/composite) or digital (HDMI) video signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks