Video Switching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian reis, Jul 8, 2002.

1. brian reis

brian reis Extra

I just ordered my new HK520. Have not received yet, but had a few questions. For video switching to work, you just hook up video from Dish (S video) and DVD video (Component) through the receiver?

Also, I've heard picture quality is better for DVD if run straight to TV. Could it be that much? I think I'd rather have the convenience of one button switching.

Can't really video switch my VCR since it's just running through the coax cable coming from Dish to TV cable input? Right??? Not set to a "video" input.

2. GregY

GregY Stunt Coordinator

It's my understanding that in order for video switching to work with the receiver, the video inputs have to be of the same type. For example, both sources are coming from S-Video or both sources are coming from Component Video.
    Take a look at the following thread that I started when originally connecting my HT.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=42792
    In my experience the video directly to the TV looked better than the video going through the receiver (when using S-Video). The Component Video from my DVD looked the best though.
    In the end I used S-Video out from my Cable box to the TV and the component video out from my DVD to the TV (and also the new component video out from the cable box to get HD broadcasts of HBO).
    I then found a good learning remote that switches the TV to the correct video mode and the receiver to the correct audio mode with the press of one button (using macros).

3. brian reis

brian reis Extra

Same video source for all video types (ie. DVD, dish, etc) or S video into receiver for dish and s video out to TV for dish and Component in receiver for DVD and component out to TV for DVD?

4. GregY

GregY Stunt Coordinator

Whatever video output you have from the receiver to the monitor needs to be the same as all video inputs into the receiver.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. brian reis

brian reis Extra

I need to know as I've purchased a 2nd set of component video cables to run from DVD to Receiver to TV. But don't want to use it if it won't video switch unless I'm using S video since that's what I have for the Dish.

6. GregY

GregY Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the manual for the HK520 and it looks like it has inputs for both.
    I'm not sure but it looks like this receiver will do what you want it to do.
    Anyone with the HK520 or experience with it have an opinion?

7. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

The 520 has all kinds of assignable inputs and outputs. Just kuz it says "Coax 2" doesn't mean it has to run on "Video 2". You can assign it to whatever source is incoming.
    Now... AFAIK there is no receiver or pre/pro that allows you to run one type of video feed in and run it out as another.
    Comp Vid switching is only for Comp Video... Examples would be DVD, XBox with HD pack, and some models of Satellite or Cable boxes...
    The advantage is ease of use... and to allow for more inputs as opposed to purchasing an external switch. There is a slight possibility for degredation... I haven't seen it on my 520 in comparison testing (Sony 51 HD Widescreen):wink:
    You must run (e.g.)
    Comp Vid in with DVD, Comp Vid Out...
    SVideo in from (whatever) must be SVideo Out...
    "Out" must always equal "In"...
    (was that the question?) [​IMG]
    BTW... good choice on the AVR 520...

8. GregY

GregY Stunt Coordinator

Steve is correct. Since the HK has outputs for each input it will work.

Good luck!

9. brian reis

brian reis Extra

Sweet!!!!!!!!
    I think I'm going home from work early today......to play!!!!

Is yours hooked up that way?
    I guess that is why the DVD component 'in' and 'out' on the back?
    Nowhere near monitor out.
    I hope the TV switches from video 2 to video 1.....

10. brian reis

brian reis Extra

Steve,

Will that switch the video 2 to video 1 on my TV when I push DVD from Dish.

11. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Brian,

Your TV will not switch inputs since you have two different cables coming from the out connections of your receiver going to two separate connections on the back of your TV. You will have to switch inputs manually on your TV. There is only 2 receivers (Denon 5803, Pioneer 49TX) that can take any source from either composite, svideo, and component and output them all through just one component cable.

The only reason you would use the component switching on your receiver is if your TV only has 1 component input and you have 2 devices using component video. If your only using the DVD player then plug the component cables directly into the TV. Unfortunately you will need to switch inputs on your TV, but everyone has to do this already anyway.