Video Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daman, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi Guys!
    Need your help on video switching on my reciever.. i have a yamaha htr 5650.. i was trying to run the video connections through my reciever to the tv.. basically the video cable from dvd player and the Playstation to go into the reciever and the tv out from reciever goes to the tv.. its pretty simple i guess but ive tried a couple of times this connection but the tv is not getting the signal neither when i switch the reciever to dvd nor when i switch it to video-aux(which ive set for ps2) .. can someone help me out? Could it be a problem with the damn reciever itself?
    Thanks
    Daman

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

and yes im using normal analog cables.. no s video or component cables in picture..

3. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Daman,
    What cables are you using to go from your receiver to your TV?
    If you are using component cables from your receiver to your TV, but composite, or S-Video from your other equipment to your receiver, your receiver does not do an upconversion pass through.
    I believe that you would have to use like cables.
    Hopefully someone else can chime in that has experienced this and solved it

Al. Wise

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks Al, well im using the normal analog cable.. the yellow cable which comes along with the red and white in the analog cables.. this is for all the connections so there wouldnt be any upconversion.. my reciever does have a s video and component inputs and also the ability to upconvert from analog to s video but the tv doesnt have those inputs at present(plan to upgrade it). Hope someone can help me out. Thanks for your inputs!
    Regards,
    Daman

5. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Daman,
    The cabling sounds pretty normal.
    If it was me I would check all the video modes on the TV (Video1, Video 2, etc...) while running the DVD player to see if this works.
    Second, I would back trace everything per the connection/set up instructions on my receivers user manual.
    Third, I would (and you probably already have)connect the DVD and Game directly to the TV and see if this works.

Let me know how you make out.
    If I have any revelations I will reply again.

Al. Wise

6. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Al, the connections work if i connect them to the tv directly.. its just the hassle of getting up and changing cable each time which bugs me [​IMG] i went through the manual in detail and they have just mentioned that you need to connect the video cable to the respective inputs in reciever and take the tv out to the tv.. they havent written anything explicit about how the switching will work so im assuming it should work when i switch the inputs on the reciever [​IMG] theres just one video mode on the tv.. ill see if im missing out something and try again this weekend.. thanks for the help !!

7. David Strand

David Strand Agent

I don't know how that particular receiver works, but there may be a switch on the back of the receiver that switches the output between composite, s-video, component. My Onkyo has a switch like that. Check the switch and then unplug all your wires and check the following simple connection once more:

1. From dvd video out into the receiver's dvd video in.
    2. From the receiver's video monitor out into the tv's video in.
    3. Set the tv to the video source.
    4. Select dvd on the receiver.

If you followed those simple steps and double or triple check that you are not plugged into the out instead of in or vice versa for each connection, then I'd say you have a problem with the receiver.

8. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hmm.. thanks for that tip David.. ill double check on this tonight and post up. If it doesnt work i guess the reciever would have to go back [​IMG]