Video switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Williams, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

With all of the reading that I have done for the past year I still do not understand what video switching is?

If I have a progressive scan DVD and a HDTV tuner, both with component video out. What advantage do I have by running them through my reciever? Why not connect them both directly to my rptv that has three component video inputs for three different sources?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Not all display devices have multiple component video inputs. Most RPTVs do, some tube tvs do, very few projectors do. Also, the advantage of having all your sources going to the same input on your TV can be very nice conisdering that's one less thing to have to change when changing sources. Video switching will become even more useful as video upconversion becomes more widely available. There are a few receovers that upconvert S-Video and Composite video to Component video but it remains 480i. One current player (the Yamaha RX-Z9) upconverts all inputs to 480p Component Video using the built in Faroudja deinterlacer.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Richard C

Richard C Extra

Biggest reason I want it is simply a spin off of what Bob mentioned above - but I call it the Grandparent factor.

When my parents are babysitting the kids, I want them to be able to make one simple change. Set the receiver to TV for TV, VCR for VCR, etc. I want the simplest method possible for them (or any babysitter) to be able to use the HT.

A remote with macros would work, but what happens when the remote is hidden (either naturally or by the 2 year old)?

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

That is great if you can hook everything direct. But I have 7 video sources (DVD, CATV, 2 VCRs, 3 Video Game Systems), and my TV only has 2, so I have everything running through the receiver. And it is nice that I only have 1 wire running to the TV and I never have to change the TV channel.

7. John S

John S Producer

For adding or changing video devices, the reciever / pre pro allows for a nice central wire'n point.

But all in all, it is your choice how you wire your system up.