What's new

Video switching? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
With all of the reading that I have done for the past year I still do not understand what video switching is?

If I have a progressive scan DVD and a HDTV tuner, both with component video out. What advantage do I have by running them through my reciever? Why not connect them both directly to my rptv that has three component video inputs for three different sources?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Not all display devices have multiple component video inputs. Most RPTVs do, some tube tvs do, very few projectors do. Also, the advantage of having all your sources going to the same input on your TV can be very nice conisdering that's one less thing to have to change when changing sources. Video switching will become even more useful as video upconversion becomes more widely available. There are a few receovers that upconvert S-Video and Composite video to Component video but it remains 480i. One current player (the Yamaha RX-Z9) upconverts all inputs to 480p Component Video using the built in Faroudja deinterlacer.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
With all of the reading that I have done for the past year I still do not understand what video switching is?
Ok, Run 3 video sources straight to the TV. Run the audio sources to the receiver.

Now - play a DVD
Switch the TV to see the DVD video signal
Switch the Receiver to see the DVD audio signal

the phone rings while watching the DVD. You pause it and your wife starts chatting with her mom. You decide to see what is on the network television.

Switch the TV to see the CATV video signal
Switch the Receiver to see the CATV audio signal

your wife gets off the phone and wants to resume the DVD.

Switch the TV to see the DVD video signal
Switch the Receiver to see the DVD audio signal

Unless you have a remote with macro capabilities, you are going to have to juggle 2 or more remotes just to switch from 1 source to another.

Video Switching lets you use just your receiver remote. It toggles the audio and video with a single button press.

Does this help?

Richard C

Grip
Biggest reason I want it is simply a spin off of what Bob mentioned above - but I call it the Grandparent factor.

When my parents are babysitting the kids, I want them to be able to make one simple change. Set the receiver to TV for TV, VCR for VCR, etc. I want the simplest method possible for them (or any babysitter) to be able to use the HT.

A remote with macros would work, but what happens when the remote is hidden (either naturally or by the 2 year old)?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
That is great if you can hook everything direct. But I have 7 video sources (DVD, CATV, 2 VCRs, 3 Video Game Systems), and my TV only has 2, so I have everything running through the receiver. And it is nice that I only have 1 wire running to the TV and I never have to change the TV channel.

John S

Senior HTF Member
For adding or changing video devices, the reciever / pre pro allows for a nice central wire'n point.

But all in all, it is your choice how you wire your system up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks