What's new

Video Switching w/ Yamaha HTR-5490 (1 Viewer)

Keith Royer

Auditioning
I have just connected a DVD player, ReplayTV, and DirectTv to my Yamaha HTR-5490 a/v receiver. Everything works fine, but when I connect XBox to the front inputs on the receiver with composite video/audio cables, I don't get a picture on my TV (I only hear the game system thru the speakers). I have an SVideo and a composite cable connected from the Yamaha to the TV, because I thought that the composite signals would run thru the composite, and the SVideo signals would run thru the SVideo, as the Yamaha manual says. When I remove the SVideo cables the game works fine, but it doesn't seem like that should be necessary. I'm sorry if this is confusing, I will clarify if necessary. I am just not sure if it is my mistake, or a problem with the receiver.

Thanks for any help in advance

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Keith. Welcome to HTF! :)
When you said: "... When I remove the SVideo cables the game works fine." I have to ask: Does your TV support Multiple Inputs?
Yes, some TV's have the CATV connection, a Composite connector and a SVideo connector. But all these connectors are for the SAME SOURCE. On these TV's as soon as you plug in a device with an SVideo cable, the TV auto-switches to view the SVideo signal. This means the TV is ignoring the Composite feed.
Look at your remote. Does it have a button to allow you to flip between multiple sources?
I strongly suggest you get an SVideo cable for that XBox. All the bright colors and straight lines in a video game scream for SVideo. Then you should get a digital cable to feed the Yamaha 5.1. Halo with a good 5.1 system is something to behold. :)
PS: You did post in the right area, but we also have a dedicated Gaming Hardware and Gaming Software where you can meet lots of other HT/Gamers.
Enjoy your stay.

Keith Royer

Auditioning
Thanks for the help Bob.

I have since purchased the Advanced AV kit for the XBox and the video switching works perfectly with the SVideo. The sound and picture are great too! XBox with 5.1 is terrific, its nice to be able to use my equipment the right way. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread