1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Video Switching: Signal Degradation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I would like to use my receiver's (Denon 3802) video switching capabilities to hook up my DVD player via component output. I was always under the impression that the more connections you have, the more signal degradation occurs. Is there any truth to this or are digital connections pretty safe from signal loss?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well... Digital connections are much more robust than their analog versions.
    But the video signals are all ANALOG even from your DVD player.
    My advice is to NOT run component through your receiver unless you have 2 or more devices that provide component signals.
    Here is the trick:
    - If you run Component into the receiver, you need to run component out to the TV.
    - If you run SVideo into the receiver, you must then run SVideo out to the TV.
    - If you run Composite into the receiver, you must then run composite out.
    So you see, your receiver WILL switch, but it will NOT CONVERT from one type to the other.
    My suggestion: Run Component straight to the TV.
    Look at all your other devices. If they all offer SVideo then run SVideo from all devices (including the DVD player) to the receiver, then 1 svideo to the TV from the receiver.
    Now your entire system can be run by having the TV "look" at the signal from the receiver. But when you fire up a DVD, take the extra step to grab the TV remote and switch it to look at the Component feed for the better picture.
    Hope this helps.

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Bob,
    It sure did help. I guess I was just trying to be as lazy as possible! The only other video signal I'm running is my sat receiver and it's S-Video. I suppose I'll have to leave the DVD player hooked up as is (direct to TV) and go through the extra step when watching DVDs. Oh well...
    Thanks,
    R.J.

4. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

I have the 3802 and the 27Mhz it is rated at should be enough to not degrade a DVD component signal, but probably not a HD signal. You can always test it and see!