VIdeo switching question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EricTut, Oct 7, 2003.

1. EricTut

EricTut Extra

I have the Onkyo TR600.

My monitor output is Svideo. Chouldnt I be able to see things that run on composite video? (The cheapy yellow cable thing) I know component and svideo cannot be intermixed. But composite?

This is driving me nuts. I tried plugging in the output from my digital camera, simple device, to the video 4 input on the front of the reciever. No joy. Argh!

TIA guys!

EricT

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm afraid not. Most receivers dont convert one type of video to another.

Each of the 3 video signals (Composite, SVideo, Component) can only be seen on outputs of the same type.

For the old family VCR, there is a $20 converter from Radio Shack that converts Composite to SVideo. This way your receiver can see all sources as SVideo which simplifies things.

Warning: the $20 unit is just a cheap filter. I wouldnt use it for anything you care about (like feeding a camcorder signal into recorder). But it's fine for non-serious sources.

3. EricTut

EricTut Extra

Aww man! Thats kinda what I thought. I think I figured out what to do when I have a home theater issue.. throw cash at it. Seems to be one of those hobbies, heh.

Thanks for the info.

Eric

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Bob, I think you are incorrect. Onkyo receivers do convert video formats, as far as I understand. What EricTut needs to do is not only connect the yellow video jack but also at least one audio jack (even for a digital camera). Onkyo won't display the video unless an audio jack is also connected.

Try it, EricTut, and let us know what happens!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Rick could be right, but only for some models.

For example: the high-end Dennon 5700 receiver will up-convert all video feeds so that they are visible on the one component output. But you pay ~$2,500 for the unit.

There was also a Pioneer receiver (now discontinued) that would convert all composite video to SVideo.

But these are the exceptions rather than the rule.