What's new

Video switching question (1 Viewer)

Bruce Carillon

Auditioning
I'm putting together a HT system and have a question about video switching.

First, an overview of my video sources:
1) VCR - Standard RCA connection
2) DVD - Component connection
3) Cable TV - Standard coaxial

The receiver I choose will have video switching capabilities. How does this work? Will all video signals go fom the receiver to the TV via a component cable?

I guess my goal is to leave the TV video input set to one selection no matter what video source I'm viewing. Is this possible?

Thanks!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You have several issues here. Lets start with the Cable TV. I am assuming that you do not have a cable box. You cannot hook cable TV to a receiver. The reciver does not have a tuner, so there is no way to tune a channel. Next, whatever wire you use from the source going into the receiver, has to continue to the TV. So you will have to have a component cable, and RCA cable going from the receiver to the TV, assuming that the receiver has component, which many do these days. Some high end receivers ($1k+) will upconvert the video, but it sounds like this is your first HT so I am assuming that you have a smaller budget. So unfortunatly, unless you buy a high end receiver (And you have to look closely for video upconversion, not many have it, and some only upconvert to S-Video) you are still going to have to change channels.

So here is what I reccommend. First, the coax cable still has to go into the TV or VCR, so you can change channels. If you TV has audio outputs on back, hook the cable to the TV, and hook just a red and white audio cable to the receiver. Then chane channels on the TV like normal. The VCR can hook into the receiver, and have just 1 RCA wire taking the video back to the TV. You could hook the VCR's video direct also, but you probably want the video wire from the receiver to the TV for on-screen display. The DVD player will send audio to the receiver through a digital audio cable (optical or digital coaxial). And the video can go straight to the TV. You could go to the receiver if it has component, but then you have to buy an additional wire. So, unfortunatly you are still going to have to change channels for all your sources.

If you add another source to the receiver, it will do the video switching for you, as long as they are the same type of connection. If you really want the video upconversion feature, look at some high end Denon, H/K, Marantz, or Onkyo. I have the Denon 3803 ($1100), and it upconverts to component, so I only need 1 wire to the TV. But that is a chunk of change to spend on a receiver.

Bruce Carillon

Auditioning
Brian... thanks for the very informative reply!

You're right, I won't be using super high-end gear, so I'll just deal with changing video inputs on the TV to accomodate the different source material.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks