Video Switching / Interconnects

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinW, Jan 3, 2002.

1. ColinW

ColinW Agent

I have looked through a bunch of old threads on this and I couldn't find an answer so I decided to post my own thread in hopes of getting the answer I need.

First of all, my setup:

Kenwood VR509

RCA 36" MM36100 Digital monitor

Toshiba SD2071 DVD Player

Bell ExpressVU Satellite receiver

Currently I have the SAT and DVD hooked directly to the TV using SVID (satellite) and COMPONENT (dvd). I am using a toslink from the DVD to the amp, and regular analog cables from the satellite to the amp. This all seems to work fine as far as I can tell, but since my amp will do video switching I thought I may take advantage of it.

Here is the questions - Will I benefit from having the DVD component go into the amp, then the TV? Secondly, will I benefit from having the SVID connection go from satellite receiver to amp to TV? Will I not need two outs from the amp - one SVID and one component? I don't see how this is doing anything for me at all other than adding more cable. Will switching video through the amp make it so that I do not need to change the input on the TV? When I switch to DVD, will the audio and video sources figure themselves out and play properly just by selecting DVD on the amp? Same for the Satellite (currently video2 on the amp)? I already have more then enough inputs on the TV itself, so what benefit is there to video switching?

Sorry for the rambling question.

If anyone has some experience setting up gear similar to mine, please let me know.

Colin

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Colin: running the different video types through the receiver will NOT help you.

You run through the amp to help simplify switching, but this only works if you have 2 or more of the same type of video signal.

Try this: Run SVideo from BOTH the DVD and DSS units to the receiver, and then a SVideo from the receiver to the TV.

Leave the TV looking at the SVideo signal from the receiver for several days and get used to using the receiver to do all the switching. You will find this simple and easy to use (because all your video sources produce SVideo).

But you can leave the component video cable going directly from the DVD to the TV and you can take the extra step of flipping to the component input on the TV to watch a DVD movie.

With only a 36" monitor, I'm not sure you will see a difference (unless you are running Progressive of course).

Hope this helps.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

4. ColinW

ColinW Agent

Thanks for the replies. I will leave everything as I had it. It seems the advantage of video switching is only if you have more than 2 video sources the same and if you cannot accomodate them withindividual inputs on your TV.

Thanks for the assistance.

Colin