video switching/conversion help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by norman_maclean, Nov 27, 2001.

1. norman_maclean

Sorry if the title isn't as descriptive as it should be but I'm not sure what it should be. I have a Marantz 5200 and a Sony Trinitron that only takes on Video input, S or the yellow plug (analog?). If the yellow one is plugged in it superceded the S and the TV does not go by whether or not a signal is being sent, so in order to have any S video to my TV that can be the only video input. That said, I want to run all my video to my reciever, then to the tv. However, anything that can't be inputed to the reciever via S inputs doesn't appear to come out of the S outputs. Is there a way for me to plug in the analog video (say from my vcr via a red/white/yellow cord) to my reciever, and have the video outputed through my S output? Or does it only output this video through the analog (yellow) output? If this is the case I would like to buy something that will allow me to plug in an S input and an analog input (both coming from my reciever) and convert whichever cord has a signal to S video and sent that to my TV. Can this be done? I was looking at the sony Sony SB-V55A and it appears this could do it. Is this a good price and is this the best thing I could use for this? http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...SBV55A&o=P&a=0
    Thanks a ton, as you can see I'm not too experienced in this area, but LOVE my Marantz 5200 in case you are wondering -- and this forum is what convinced me to buy.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Several companies make a Composite Video to S-Video adapter.

So you'd take the video out into the S-Video Adapter -- and from there into your receiver with S-Video.

You'd take S-Video out of your receiver into an adapter and from there take the composite video to the VCR.

This would allow all S-Video to your TV set.

Camelot sells the Excalibur Plus at US$39 each, and a pair of these could solve your woes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

3. William Yen

William Yen Auditioning

Those yellow plugs you refer to are called composite or RCA connections. Some receivers can convert between composite and S-video and some can even do component (I think some onkyos) but I'm not sure of model numbers but I know they exist. From what I've seen of most other receivers you should be able to plug in one rca into the tv and 1 s-video and it should be fine but I'm not sure about the marantz lines of receivers.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Norman, Radio Shack carries converters similar to the ones John mentioned, for $20. I use one to convert the composite video from my VCR to S-video before connecting it to my receiver. This allows me to run only S-video from my receiver to my TV and all switching is done at the receiver.
    Hope this helps.

5. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but when you convert from composite to s-video, it doesn't improve the quality to s-video does it?? Wouldn't the vcr have to have s-video out?? Confused...

Andy Stocker

Thanks in advance

6. norman_maclean

Hey thanks guys, these converters should work for me. The main thing I'm thinking of now is whether to buy the composite to S converters as I need them and convert everything to S on the way into the reciever, or just try and convert the composite out to S, and then buy some sort of adapter that takes in 2 S signals and combines them to 1. This way I would only need the one converter and combiner thing no matter how many component devices I add in the future, though most things in the future will have S I'm sure....

7. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

As cheap as SVHS vcr's have gotten, you may want to just invest in one to output in s video.

I was not impressed by the picture I got when using one of the convertor's.

If you still use your VCR alot, investing in a SVHS vcr is a good buy IMHO.

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Converting composite to S-Video doesn't increase quality, merely makes it easier to manage the switching functionality.

Regards,

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Norman: Is your DVD player the only source of SVideo you have? If so, I suggest you do this:

- Run a SVideo cable straight from the DVD player to the TV.

- Run Composite video (single, yellow RCA cable) from every device (DVD, CATV box, VCR) to the receiver, then run 1 Composite video cable from the receiver to the TV.

Now the whole system can be used by leaving the TV set to look at the signal from the receiver. The receiver controls BOTH the audio and video. This makes the system easy to use for you and the family.

But when YOU sit down to watch a DVD, take the extra step and grab the TV remote to switch to the SVideo signal. You should immediatly be able to see the difference. This is also a nice way to show friends the difference in the two connection types.

Hope this helps.

10. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

11. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

12. norman_maclean

You are right Vin, my TV will not detect signals from the composite and S and just use whichever has a signal, if there is something plugged into the composite the S jack won't work. I can't believe that this is the case with a sony trinitron (32in) but I guess so, maybe it is a defect in the tv. Anyway, I love those new plugs you just linked to, I won't need another S cable with them, which makes it much cheaper than the Radio Shack ones. I think I am going to give these a try and see how it goes. Hopefully the video quality is not degraded at all. Will let you know though. Thanks for the advice everyone!