Video Switching and Upconversion??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Denis K, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Denis K

Denis K Agent

Trying to finalize my decision on a new receiver, and have a question on the benefits of video upconversion. (Yes, I've read the posts from a number of people who claim that the process usually has a negative effect on picture quality.) As I understand, it the benefits are primarily:

1) Only one type of connection from the AVR to the TV. This = greater convenience, less wires, less cost.

2) Easier to switch between sources. I've been told that with upconversion, I can switch audio and video with a single action (i.e. button push) as I change from source to source. Without video upconversion, I must make a change at the receiver but than also change the input on the TV itself.

Do I have #2 correct? Do AVR's basic video switching capabilities allow 1-button changing of audio and video or is upconversion required for this? Is it a hassle (or confusing to wives and kids) to change sources on AVRs without video upconversion?

Are there any other things I need to consider in picking a receiver with/without the conversion capability?

Thanks a bunch!
    Denis

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Think you've got a handle on the situation...switching is changing input modes on both display and reveiver for video material and conversion limits the function change to just the receiver. I think I'd consider the receiver I liked the sound of best first (think almost all come with at least switching capabilities these days) and leave the conversion quality as a lesser or bonus factor if you like the rest of the unit......reason being is that you can always buy a nice universal remote for $200 or less and program it for one button action.

Mort

3. SethOakley

SethOakley Agent

Denis,

As most of my posts are, I can only comment on the stuff that I either have or have heard. I purchased the Denon 2803 AVR and have loved the ability to switch the audio and video simultaneously through the receiver. In my setup I havc my DVD player and my HDTV (Digital Cable) box both hooked up to the 2803. Out of that I run one component cable to the TV(currently, projector as soon as my theater is done). I avoid having to shuffle through the TV’s inputs to go to HDTV or DVD. However, if you have more items, say Tivo, VCR, XBOX, those most likely will be hooked up through S-Video. So you could have two through Component, and Three through S-Video. You would have to switch the TV just between those two, instead of alternatively having to switch between all 5.

One thing to consider when purchasing the receiver is at what level does the receiver do the Component switching? I personally wouldn’t get a receiver that doesn’t do at least 50MHZ on the switching if you truly want to use that feature. The 2803 does it at 100MHZ.

Finally, I’ll just say that most professionals will tell you that the best possible connection would be straight to the source. DVD Player straight into the TV, XBOX straight into the TV, and so on. That definitely is easy to understand. However, in my personal experience I truly feel that I haven’t lost any quality in the picture. The added convenience of it all makes it worth it even if I have. And yes, it is very simple to go from one source to the next through the receiver. I would say that it is so easy that even my child does it without thinking twice, but he’s only 3.5 weeks old and that would be, well….a flat out lie! However, my wife loves the ease of running our current setup.

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Seth, kind of off topic but do they actually have hi-def cable in Hays? (I went to college there.)

TimG