Video "Switch Box" that does upconversion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Clifford Manuel, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Clifford Manuel

I know that there are several receivers out there that do video upconversion where all input signals, composite, s-video and component are all output via component. (Denon 3803, Yamaha V2400 to name a few). However, I am looking to do upconversion without purchasing a brand new receiver. I read through the Inexpensive HD Video Switching thread and all of the products mentioned in that thread did only component switching, but not upconversion. Does any one know of any products (other than receivers) that can do component upconversion?

Thanks.

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Are you looking to transcode composite and s-video to component video, or by upconversion do you mean scaling to a higher resolution (480i->480p->720p->1080i)?

3. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Actually I was reading throught the denon web site and they do not allow input from s-video and composite to go out the same output. You must use s in and s out, or composite in composite out.

This comes from denon's FAQ.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

That is not true anymore. The 3803 and 5803 do upconvert the signal all the way to component. It does not improve the quality, but it will most certianly send composite out S-video and component. Trust me. I have the 3803 with composite, S-video, and component sources. They all go into the receiver, and I only have 1 component wire going to the TV.

5. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Well then my mistake. Maybe Denon should update their web site.

Sorry

marc

6. Clifford Manuel

Well, it looks like I'm saving $$ for a new receiver, unfortunately.