Video Stores Getting Smaller But Still Doing Same Business

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

VIDEO STORES PARE DOWN -- LITERALLY

Many video store owners are closing up shop and reopening in smaller spaces stocking only DVDs, the trade publication Video Store said Friday. Ron Alsheimer, a Buffalo video "rentailer" who sold out to Blockbuster several years ago, told the magazine that he is opening up stores of about 1,200 to 3,100 square feet and says he can stock 10,000 DVDs if he arranges them vertically. "We're even looking at 625 square feet," he added. Tony Arlyn, who operates a DVD-only store in Corvallis, OR says that although it is less than half the size of his old video store, "we can do the same amount of business. The space advantage is tremendous.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I've put all my DVDs in slimline jewel cases. The space savings are tremendous. Also I can grab the entire original Star Trek series with one hand if I have to get out of here quickly in case of fire or other catastrophe. [​IMG]

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Rob, I've been seriously considering going to Jewel cases since my collection is a booming 480 disks and exploding my rack space. The downside is that thou it's easier for you to grab in case of fire etc, it's also quicker for a thief to steal but it's one half dozen of one... once they are in their jewel cases how are you displaying them? Did you make all new Covers for them ?

4. Rob Gardiner

Well since the slimline case is half the width of a regular jewel case there is not much room for labeling. I keep them in order and label the crates they are in. "Cocteau - DePalma" for example. I don't have any trouble finding movies this way. When guests arrive, I print out a list that contains both DVDs and LDs. They are not filed together anyway so the list is always the most efficient method for browsing the collection.

EDIT: Sorry Peter for derailing your thread. I think it's great that video stores can operate more efficiently by taking advantage of the space savings of modern technology. This means Scarecrow can pack in even MORE videos. [​IMG]

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Well since you've brought up the idea of storing dvd's in slimline cd cases, I have a question. I had always thought that made for dvd's cases store the disc so that the data side doesn't touch the inside bottom of the case.

DVD data is packed much tighter then an audio cd and was more sensitive. These slimline cases will allow it to touch the bottom of the case, won't they?

6. Rob Gardiner

Johnny,

I'm glad you asked. [​IMG]

If you take a close look at the inside of a slimline case, you will see a ring (approx one inch diameter) outside the hub, but still within the non-data area of the disc. This ring is only about a millimeter in thickness but it is enough to keep the disc surface from touching the case.

7. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

I was thinking about doing something like that, but then I thought that the original cases would take up space somewhere anyway so might as well be on my shelf. [​IMG]

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I can store them in my closet in totes

9. Rob Gardiner

Yeah, I've been putting custom packaging like TNG box sets in the closet, but for the keepcases I've pulled out the paper inserts and sold them to a gentleman on this forum. Storing the empty keepcases would not make sense for me in my apartment.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    So Rob are you using any Artwork on your Keep cases at all? Or just the numbering system? I'm really playing with this idea and here's another reason. Every single person that comes into my theater sees the rack acts very impressed and says to me, Gee Maybe I can borrow a few. Then I have to go thru my I'm not a blockbuster spiel, they don't understand and I look like a jerk. The old phrase comes to me "Out of sight , out of Mind"

I'm past the point where I need to impress people with my collection. It's a hassle. So I'm really leaning in this direction....

11. Rob Gardiner

Right now no artwork other than what is on the disc itself. [Now the Disney claim of "full color character artwork on disc" doesn't seem so silly. [​IMG]] And the WB Kubrick discs look great this way. Unfortunately double-sided discs require me to read that tiny little lettering on the hub. One double sided disc in my collection, CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, I believe, does not have the film's title on the little ring. [​IMG]

I can see how this system would annoy most people. It is definitely not for everyone. But I have had success with it, mainly in the area of space savings.

Also the crappy cover artwork we are subjected to makes it easy to give up cases.

And like I said above, my collection is split between LDs and DVDs, [plus a handful of VHS] so regardless of what my DVDs are stored in, it is easier for guests to select from a list than from the movie racks themselves. DVDProfiler is very convenient to use but does not support LDs. I still maintain my DVD list in this program, however, so I can print out "front cover contact sheets" so my guests can browse quickly. I also use MS Access to maintain my MASTER movie database, and can print out lists in any configuration, by director, year, country of origin, aspect ratio, rating, presence of commentary, etc.

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

My local Hollywood Video got in about 25 cases of DVD's to fill in their inventory of Comedy, Horror, Drama, ... etc.

However: They have had to cram them onto shelves spine-out and even with full-sized cases, it's very hard to browse. It's almost too crowded and hard to read the spines.

While I love movies and want to thank/support Hollywood for filling in their back stock, it's almost so unplesant to scan the shelves that I rarely get past the new-release shelfs.

So while you can open a smaller store and display DVD's in less space - I'm not sure it makes for a pleasant experience.

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I have a huge rack housing my 480 disks right now and browsing those spine out isn't great either. So Artwork does little to display the disks in my area other to show quantity. I Just bought one of those Sauder racks on sale from Media Play supposedly it'll hold 532 CD's so I figure slim Jewel cases even more. I have a nice report created in DVD Profiler which should do a nice job for a book. So I took the plunge today and on sale picked up 300 Slimlines for starters, wish me luck.

14. Rob Gardiner

Dave,

Your rack should holld 1064 slimlines. Good luck! [​IMG]