Video Store/Rental Owners: Feedback on Pearl Harbor VHS???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Ward, Dec 7, 2001.

1. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I ask this because I was at my Wal-Mart on Monday night and a couple guys were buying the Pearl Harbor VHS tape for their rental store. I noticed that there was a regular VHS and a WS VHS available(at least one was labeled WS and one wasn't).

So naturally they picked up two of the unlabeled(presumably P&S) ones. I told them that the back of the tape said it was actually letterbox(modified to fill more of your screen) and during the fight sequences the bars got bigger.

What's interesting is that the WS version said this: "Presented in a letterbox format. The black bars are normal for this type of playback. During certain attack sequences the bars get bigger." So the two were kinda confused as both basically said that they were letterboxed with bigger bars during attack sequences on the back. If that's so, why the WS label on one and not the other? We were all confused on that one.

Has anyone who works at a retailer/rental store had any problems with this one???

I think it's a sly move: Two differently labeled tapes but the same basic film on both.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I believe the regular 'Pearl Harbor' VHS is presented in slightly cropped 1.85 which switches to 2.35 during the key action sequences. The WS VHS is 2.35 for the entire film...
    ...but I have yet to see this VHS yet (or any VHS for the past 4 years [​IMG] )