What's new

Video size too big (1 Viewer)

Nick Breier

Auditioning
Teach me things. Useing Adobe Premier Pro I edited some homemade movies , went to file - export to DVD. I made about 3 movies adn they average about 6 minutes a pieace + a 3 minute music video. Each file seem to be a Gig big so therefore i cant even put 20 minutes on a DVD-RW that can run 2 hours with 4.7 Gig single layer.

Asking for help how to make the video .AVI files smaller or get them on the DVD burning process better because I want to add alot more videos to fit all on one DVD.

Help please

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you just master the DVD as big as it needs to be and then use DVD Shrink to compress it to fit 4.7GB?

-Robert

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I assume you want to make a regular DVD, not just save the video clips onto a DVD blank for storage.

AVI is not a DVD video format. You need to convert them to MPG2. I don't know Premiere so I can't tell you how. But there should be an option like "Create Video File" or something.

It's a good idea to edit your videos in AVI to ensure high quality. When done, save the video to MPG2.

Then there's the whole matter of bitrates and audio formats.

Check out www.videohelp.com for more info.

-paul

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Premiere Pro has a very good MPEG-II compresser (the one from Main Concept.)

If they're seperate projects, you may need to do some... creative work.

Are they all in the same "project" file, just multiple time-lines? If so, that is excellent. If not, create a new project, and import the other four project files.

On the new project's time-line, import and place the other four projects, in the order you wish them to play on the disc. At the start of each one (except, really, the first one, which will have a chapter start (chapter 1) by default, place a time-line "marker." The default key for that is, I believe, the number-pad "*" key. (Put the edit-line where you want it, and either press the key, or on the top-left (I think) of the time-line window, there's a small vaguely triangular button with an asterix in it that'll do the same thing.)

If you want sub-chapters, well, they won't be sub-chapters, but chapters (can't do Titles or menues this way.)

Now, once you have everything laid out the way you want it, go to File > Export > Make DVD or something along those lines. (I don't have it in front of me right now.) It will give you a number of options. One of which you will want to do is find the check-box marked "chapters at timeline markers."

It will take a lot of time. You can do all sorts of tweaking of settings of the compressor, but it'll still take some time to do the MPEG-II compression. Then it'll write it out to disc.

The other option, if you want to do any menuing, is to individually export each file to the MPEG-II compressor. I've had the best luck as exporting non-multiplexed files, and letting the authoring package do the multiplexing. (I use Adobe Encore DVD.)

Alternatively, you just export the files as seperate audio and video files, import them into Encore, and let it do the multiplex and compress.

It's a little cryptic and non-obvious at points, but good DVD authoring lets you do some powerful things. Feel free to ask me for details, either here or e-mail (not PM - I almost never check there.) I've done a fair amount of this sort of stuff for work, ranging from the really simple projects to the really bizarre stuff.

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks