Video Signal options on a reciever?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Randy*D, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Randy*D

Randy*D Auditioning

Hi all....new to the forum and hoping for some assistance because I am at my wits end here.

Ok, I really hope someone can help me out here. I am trying to find a stereo receiver that will take multiple variations of video INPUT types (Component, S-Video, and Composite) and let me choose where to send the OUTPUT. For example, if I plug in my DVD player to the component input of the receiver and have the S-Video cable going to my TV and the Component cable going to my projector I want to be able to choose either device to watch the show on. I have been told, and through experimentation realized for myself, that if you have S-Video going into the receiver that the resulting picture will only be sent out the S-Video output on the receiver.

Here's the deal. I have a Hitachi projector that I have my Component cable going to. I then have my Sony TV that I have an S-Video cable going to. I have a DVD player that I can use Component/S-Video, Composite video output on, I have a VCR that I can use only Composite video output on, and I have my computer that I can use S-Video (but switching to VGA for better picture, on the projector anyway) on. I want to be able to plug all of these components into a receiver, turn on the system and depending on the mood I am in select a device and push the button and have it sent to which ever display I am in the mood to watch that day.

A bonus would be if the receiver would take VGA input....but I am sure that is definitely asking too much.

This seems like it would be fairly simple to fix up but I cannot seem to make it work with the receivers I am experimenting with. IS THIS POSSIBLE??? If so does anyone have a suggestion on a good AV receiver that would do this? I guess I should say this, I am mainly doing this to make life easy on my wife....I am perfectly capable of just swapping cables and figuring out why it wont work....she on the other hand needs to be able to turn on the power and push a button to make what ever she wants work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Randy

2. Mike Littrell

Just go S-video out from DVD to tv and component from DVD to receiver to projector. You can use the digital coax/toslink for the dvd audio, and the other one you didn't use for the projector audio

edit: oops, go S-video - receiver - tv on the DVD

3. Randy*D

Randy*D Auditioning

OK, thanks for that input but that is how I currently do things. But that doesnt address all of my issues.

But....I have done some reading in past posts and it seems that the Yamaha V2400 may do what I need it to. Does anyone have any input about this? Anyone who owns one?

For clarification I have drawn up a quick schmatic and posted it here to better describe what I need. Any help is appriciated!!

.....well since I cannot post a direct url link go to jacksonr.net/images/idea.jpg

Thanks,
    Randy