What's new

Video signal conversion in receivers? (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Are receivers capable of converting video signals to other formats? For example, can I have one component monitor out to my TV with a combination of s-video, composite, and component coming in? I'm really in the dark on this one so I don't even know if it is possible but, if so, is this ability only found in high-end receivers or is it more common?

Scott

IssaraS

Grip
I can't speak for all receivers, but I know that my new Sony STR-DA4ES receiver can convert a standard (RCA) video signals to S-Video signals. It can't do it between Component Video and S-Video though.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
yes this feature came out about a year ago.
here's a list that I know of:
elite 49tx
denon5803
denon3803
elite 49TXi
sony da4es
sony da7es

no I don't think any of them will down convert and take a component source and convert to s-video. I'm also not sure if they all will convert to component some may only convert composite to s-video.

Daniel Smith

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 696 and 797 are two receivers I know which can convert from Component Video to S-Video.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Guys: I urge some caution in this.

One of the most expensive, hard to build circuits in your television is called the "Comb Filter". It's job is to take Composite video and convert it to SVideo. TV's are judged by how good their comb filters are. Pick up most TV advertisments and you will see them bragging about "3D Comb Filter" or some such.

I doubt the receivers have a very good comb filter built in to do the conversion. Perhaps the flagship units do, but... I doubt it.

If you have 1 old device like a CATV box or VCR, you can buy a cheap Composite-to-SVideo converter from Radio Shack for about $20. The quality is not great, but it WILL allow you to standardize on using SVideo for everything through your receiver.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks