Video signal conversion in receivers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_AH, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Are receivers capable of converting video signals to other formats? For example, can I have one component monitor out to my TV with a combination of s-video, composite, and component coming in? I'm really in the dark on this one so I don't even know if it is possible but, if so, is this ability only found in high-end receivers or is it more common?

Scott

2. IssaraS

IssaraS Extra

I can't speak for all receivers, but I know that my new Sony STR-DA4ES receiver can convert a standard (RCA) video signals to S-Video signals. It can't do it between Component Video and S-Video though.

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

yes this feature came out about a year ago.
    here's a list that I know of:
    elite 49tx
    denon5803
    denon3803
    elite 49TXi
    sony da4es
    sony da7es

no I don't think any of them will down convert and take a component source and convert to s-video. I'm also not sure if they all will convert to component some may only convert composite to s-video.

Daniel Smith

4. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo 696 and 797 are two receivers I know which can convert from Component Video to S-Video.

5. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

What about the Yamaha 5590? Anyone know???

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Guys: I urge some caution in this.

One of the most expensive, hard to build circuits in your television is called the "Comb Filter". It's job is to take Composite video and convert it to SVideo. TV's are judged by how good their comb filters are. Pick up most TV advertisments and you will see them bragging about "3D Comb Filter" or some such.

I doubt the receivers have a very good comb filter built in to do the conversion. Perhaps the flagship units do, but... I doubt it.

If you have 1 old device like a CATV box or VCR, you can buy a cheap Composite-to-SVideo converter from Radio Shack for about $20. The quality is not great, but it WILL allow you to standardize on using SVideo for everything through your receiver.

Hope this helps.