Video Setup Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Lawrence, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Tim Lawrence

Tim Lawrence Extra

Hey, all... just bought our household a new 36" RCA TV... plain jane, no flat screen, but big improvement over our old P.O.S. Has typical S-Vid, Component and Composite inputs, as well as optical in, so will do until I really start on the Home Theater project. Already got some Home Theater Direct speakers in mind; then a full Paradigm setup a couple years down the road. [​IMG]
    My question is; will a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials do any benefit to this Tube TV? I have read wonders about these discs, and the use of SPL meter from Rad Shack (naturally), but just wondering about the video set-up discs. I had thought they were primarily for projection sets, due to all the temperature configurations necessary for good images.
    Any opinions here would help! [​IMG]

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Tim,

IMO The video setup discs that you mentioned will help you improve your TV picture quality. I have used AVIA on a regular 25 inch TV and noticed an improvement. Since it is a brand new television, some people will suggest that if you calibrate it now, you might want to calibrate again after you have used it for a couple months. Just like audio equipment, you have to give the set a chance to break in.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Most TV's are set by the factory to have extra-bright display. This is to help the TV stand out in a brightly lit store with other TV's surrounding it.

The Avia/Video Essentials disks will help you adjust the TV for your home. The blacks will become ... black instead of grey, detail in textures will come out that were lost due to the too-bright adjustment, etc.

They also help you adjust your room lighting.

Check your local video store. Some of them are renting copies of Avia/Video Essentials.

Good Luck.

4. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

I have a 32" Sony that I did a video calibration on a couple years ago through Video Essentials (rented thru Net Flix) and believe me, you WILL notice the difference on your 36" tube TV! Once I got used to the different (correct!) picture, I realized how much better DVDs and satelite look.

Go for the video calibration - you'll be happy you did.

Rob

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, do the tweaking, but RIGHT NOW...turn that contrast down! It's probably set in "torch mode" and you need to turn it down ASAP!

Jan

6. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely calibrate your new RCA. It will change the way you view and think about picture quality forever. Most people don't like the correct picture at first, but give it a chance. Once you get used to it, you will not be able to watch a factory set picture again without getting sick.

Scott

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Calibration is everything in HT! I cannot understate that less. Calibrating your new set to AVIA or Video Essentials is paramount to getting an accurate image from your sources. If done correctly, you'll notice that colors are accurate, black level is deep and rich, sharpness doesn't have that sharp edged video look to it anymore.
    Just remember that the ultimate goal in HT is trying to get as close a film-like image as you possibly can. Either of these discs will do that for you if you use them correctly.
    You must calibrate under the same lighting conditions that you'll be watching your dvd's in though.
    I put this bold because if you calibrate in a bright room and you only watch dvd's at night, your settings will be too bright for night viewing because you were compensating for too much room light when you calibrated. Only calibrate in a bright room if you plan to do all of your viewing under that condition, but I wouldn't recommend that. If your t.v. has two separate video channels, calibrate one for night, and one for day.