What's new

Video quality of Vudu rentals using HD projector? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At current finances I am estimating no having a 4K projector till aprox. late 2019 - late 2020!
I was going to give you grief for planning so ridiculously far in the future. Then I realized that's only 3 years away and I have the same plan...

An HT installer I talked with told me to forget 4K, he's already installing 8k displays :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Unless Ultraviolet goes out of business. But I just did actually decide to register my UV codes so there are accessible via Vudu and incase a disc goes bad or someone breaks in and steals my discs.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
My biggest problem with Vudu still remains that so many HDX masters in Vudu are not the high quality you wiuld find on a Blu-ray. There are many 1080i cross conversions or old DVD masters being sold at premium prices. FIle sizes are still small relative to BD....I have been let down too msny times by this.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I mainly signed up for Vudu because I was under the impression I could rent movies but it looks like it is purchase only. I did however register about 26 UV codes with ultraviolet so they would be available thru Vudu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I mainly signed up for Vudu because I was under the impression I could rent movies but it looks like it is purchase only. I did however register about 26 UV codes with ultraviolet so they would be available thru Vudu.
On Vudu you can rent movies!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I mainly signed up for Vudu because I was under the impression I could rent movies but it looks like it is purchase only.

image.jpeg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I only tried a few so that is why I came away with the belief that it was purchase only. Weird how they have a thumbnail twice for a movie and one is purchase only and the other one is rent/own. I will check out renting a movie sometime this week. What I have seen so far is that the HDX IMHO is not as good as the blu-ray disc when comparing the UV movie to the blu-ray disc.

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7338.JPG

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

In many cases a new movie will be released to streaming services up to three weeks prior to the Blu-ray release. During that three week period it will only be available as a purchase on the streaming service. Once the new movie is also available on Blu-ray (which these days includes a free Digital HD copy), then the rental options on the streaming services appear. This is not unique to VUDU, but pertains to iTunes and other streaming services as well.

BTW, the quality of the HDX transfers on VUDU will depend a lot on your high speed internet service. In general, though, you should *never* expect a HDX transfer on VUDU to look as good as a Blu-ray with front projection. With a really high speed internet service hardwired to the streaming source it can approach Blu-ray video quality, but the provided audio is always going to fall short of Blu-ray's DTS-HD MA (or Dolby Atmos) audio.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Weird how they have a thumbnail twice for a movie and one is purchase only and the other one is rent/own.

In your screenshots above you are looking at 2 different versions of the movie - one with bonus features and one without. Renting is not available on the ones that say "plus bonus content."

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
BTW, the quality of the HDX transfers on VUDU will depend a lot on your high speed internet service. In general, though, you should *never* expect a HDX transfer on VUDU to look as good as a Blu-ray with front projection.

Currently using a UHD 55" TV and my internet is currently Verizon Fios 150 mb/sec upload & download so speed is not an issue. My initial question on this post was aimed towards once I am actually able to upgrade to a projector. But for now I have a nice Samsung UHD TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks