What's new

Video quality of Vudu rentals using HD projector? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So anyone here renting movies with Vudu and watching them using a HD projector? Just wondering how video from Vudu holds up using video projection?

P

Patrick Donahue

I can't directly answer that as I don't have a projector but you can test the video quality of any title by using the "2 min preview" feature...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I bought their HD version of GIRL HAPPY that looks amazing in 2.35:1 on a ten foot screen.

As a result, I purchased TICKLE ME which should have also been 2.35 but after the credits, it changed to a zoomed-in 1.78 version. I stopped watching, sent a complaint letter and asked for a refund. The money was refunded to my account a week later.

The 2 minute previews do not always go past the credits so be prepared for some possible pan and scan masters.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find that my Vudu HDX streams look almost as good as Blu-rays. I don't hesitate to rent from them when there's a title I want to see.

Bob, regarding the aspect ratio switcheroo - I've discovered on my device that it will allow me to fast forward beyond the two minute preview. I can't watch anymore beyond that but by fast forwarding I can at least check on the ratio. Not sure if that works on all devices but it's worth trying.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So anyone here renting movies with Vudu and watching them using a HD projector? Just wondering how video from Vudu holds up using video projection?

I would say that Vudu will do when a Blu-ray is not available but imo with a projector you will invariably see the difference to the Blu-ray even when the vudu stream looks good by itself. I have myself purchased and downloaded Around the World in 80 Days and Ride Lonesome and both have their moments where there are issues associated with the vudu streams working with relatively low bitrate even when downloaded, more so with Ride Lonesome. Some movies look rather bad by the way, especially older stuff, and you should definitely try the 2 minute preview to sort these out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can't link because of forum rules, but there are some other sites that keep track of the Vudu films that are in the incorrect aspect ratio. I always peruse them before making any Vudu commitments.

P

Patrick Donahue

One thing to keep in mind too that with purchasing a UV title like Tickle Me, you aren't committed to Vudu at all - if a problem like an incorrect aspect ratio comes up just view it through another UV provider. Luckily having to do that is really the exception, not the rule...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watch a TON of streams off Apple TV and it is terrific. I assume Vudu from a similar source is pretty close to that.

I've got Vudu on my Oppo, and an AppleTV -- to my eyes, the Vudu streaming looks ever so slightly better than the AppleTV streams when comparing a title I've got in iTunes vs. one in Vudu. Netflix appears about the same either way. If I'm going to be renting a title, I generally will rent it from whichever device is turned on at the moment, which is more often than not the Oppo.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My only current access to VUDU for my HD projector is via my Samsung Blu-ray player. Unfortunately, the VUDU app on the Samsung has severe lip sync issues with HD or HDX playback. So we basically just use VUDU for renting movies in SD which looks only marginally better than a DVD.

We *did* rent "Guardians of the Galaxy" in HDX prior to our Blu-ray purchase, and were somewhat impressed with the video quality in that mode for the limited time we could stand the lip sync issue.

We're thinking about purchasing a ROKU box soon for our streaming requirements. We would prefer the Apple TV, but VUDU apparently doesn't support it.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The rumor mill has said Amazon is building a Prime Video app for the Apple TV, but there is no EST. A Vudu rep posted in their forums that they also plan to build one, but there is no timeline for that either. I would probably buy an Apple TV if both of those are released.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I might consider an Apple TV if you can rent via iTunes. Otherwise I will continue to stay away from digital purchases. I can justify renting content because I view it as disposable so if and when my income doesn't allow internet it would be no big deal to loose access to rentals. I can not however see myself paying for content then not being able to access it via internet but still having content I paid for but can not access. Hopefully physical media is around for a long time to come. I do see quality of streaming and digital downloads improving and at some point there will be no difference between them other than mandatory internet if you want to download and or stream content. At some point it would not surprise me if all access to movies turns into streaming to try and stop pirating.

At current finances I am estimating no having a 4K projector till aprox. late 2019 - late 2020! Currently waiting till the end of April to purchase my evolution hdmi hub for my Samsung UHD TV. Next upgrade after that will be my receiver set for no later than Nov. 5th, 2017. By that time I hope the video quality of rental streaming has improved so it will look very good with a 4K projector when that is finally purchased.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Dave.

iTunes definitely supports renting of movies.

And I share your concern about purchasing a movie in Digital HD vs purchasing the Blu-ray.

But these days when you purchase a Blu-ray it usually comes with a free Digital HD code. I have chosen to redeem most of those through Ultraviolet/VUDU; and use the VUDU app on my iPad and/or iPhone to access them to revisit favorite scenes. This is why I would like to purchase the Apple TV for my streaming requirements (mostly renting movies); but need the device to have good access to VUDU. I'm also an Amazon Prime member, so I need access to that streaming service as well.

I'll give it another month or so before deciding between Apple TV and ROKU. Given a preference I would like to stay in the "Apple-verse" for everything.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If I knew I would not have to worry about loosing internet or having enough download bandwidth and if content was actually bit for bit equal to physical media. And they offered lossless audio along with immersive tracks like Atmos and or DTS-X was available and there was little chance of loosing purchases when a provider goes bankrupt. I would most likely have no problem purchasing digital downloads and or streaming purchased content over the internet. At some point I expect that it will be that good and I should say never say never but for now I will stick with packaged media. And I honestly can not say I have never purchased digital downloads because I have purchased about 3 episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica from season 4 from iTunes. I might at some point get a Apple TV, hard to say right now because there are to many other things taking up what little financial resources I have. I will be giving it serious thought and may end up with an Apple TV by Christmas time depending on how much it might cut into saving up for a new receiver? I do still own those BG episodes so I could rent and watch the episodes I have purchased so they are not stuck on my pc. I might not make much money but quality is top for me but I will see what happens in the future as things move along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks