Video projector for larger venue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHenderson, Nov 19, 2002.

1. MattHenderson

Hi all. I'm trying to find out how much a video projector of adequate quality (not top-of-the-line, but adequate) would cost that would be suitable for, say, a 120-seat venue. I know very little about video projectors, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How large is the screen you wish to drive with it? I could suggest the following but....... $$$
    JVC DLA-QX1G
    Also, what video sources are you going to use with it (HDTV, DVD, D-Theatre?)
    I was playing around with the search criteria at ProjectorCentral and used a minimum of 3000 ansi lumens of brightness and a minimum contrast ratio of 800:1, that are HDTV compatable, 480p capable and have component inputs and came up with the following short list....
    Possible choices
    For a large screen though, you may require possibly using a scaler. Just an FYI.

3. MattHenderson

Neil -

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know the exact dimensions of the screen, to be honest, but as a guess I'd say 15' x 12' or thereabouts. The source would be a standard DVD player, so it doesn't need to be HD. Thanks again.

Best,

Matt

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

A 180 square feet screen is absolutely HUGE. If you want a standard 4:3 screen, it's actually 12' x 16' (192 square feet). I'm guessing it's going to be something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Dalite Scenic Roller
    Using glass beaded fabric would mean your projector output requirements wouldn't be as high, but the viewing anges would be much narrower and the picture quality would definitely suffer. I'd suggest a more conventional fabric.
    Dalite's Matte White screen has a gain of 1.1.
    Let's say you want to aim for the basic brightness of a reasonable movie theater. We're talking 12 ft-lamberts of illumination. 16 ft-lamberts would be ideal.
    If we aim for 12 ft-lamberts, we would need:
    192/1.1 = 174.55
    174.55 * 12 = 2094.55 lumens
    So we would need a projector that can average about 2100 lumens. If we assume that you're going to use a digital projector with a non-xenon bulb (most are not), we're going to need to bump up this number by about 20-25% to account for bulb brightness loss due to age, and about 20% for color calibration for video and manufacturer's tendancy to overestimate lumens.
    So, we're talking about 3016 to 3142 ANSI lumens of brightness required, right about what Neil suggested. [​IMG]
    The cheapest option may be something like what I have, a Proxima DP8000 (or Infocus LP790 or ASK C300).

5. MattHenderson

Thanks for your help. I think my problem has been solved for the time being but I'll keep your suggestions in mind.