video processor

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Billy Posey, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I have a couple of game systems, xbox and Playstation and game cube, and I also have two computers. I wanted a central location for my 2nd computer and the game consoles where I and kids can play games around so I decided the best way to do this was to use the computer monitor for all systems. To do that i bought the viewsonic n4 video processor which has a tv tuner and allows for the connection of other components like a dvd player , vcr etc through anolog audio and composite video or s-video. It also allows to view at different resolutions like 640x480 up to 1024 x 768.

When I hooked up the computer and all my consoles, I noticed that the high resolution selection of 1024x 768 gave all my games from the playstation and x-box a three dimentional qualitly to them. They looked pretty fantastic. That got me thinking. I tried checking it out on my infocus 4800 projector. Well the results were not as good. It' was kinda like someone put a light speaker grill over the screen. Not only did the colors look murky the entire picture look dirty and not as detailed as viewing with the projectors own dcdi. I tried different resolutions but the result was still the same. Infact the 1024x768 selection shifted the picture to the left.

So obviously I decided against the processor, but I am still wondering are ther e any affordable processors out there that may do what I am looking for.

First I guess I better ask, can a image from a dvd player look better than 480p. Is it possible to have it appear closer to high def. (I am only veiwing movies via dvd players in my theater. I have HD from cable but I only use it on my hdtv in the living room, no plans to watch anything other than movies in the theater room.

Secondly are there any affordable processors out there that I can buy. (By that I mean considerably less than HD+ processor from Iscan. I stilll need to buy a new Mega CD Changer and a good Universal DVD Player also up grade my subwoofer.) That will Upconvert pass 480p.

How about Dvd Players, I've heard that there's in one brand that will up convert through the compent outputs, I can't remember who.

I've thought htpc but I can't figure out how to get started or the most important hardware that I will need. Besides, although I do have a third unsued computer it is old without a hard drive and only a processor that is 388 mhz. (Wouldn't mind if I knew more about it. I watched a couple of dvds on my main computer and the quality was sweeet to say the least.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If you don't want to fool with an HTPC then check out iScan's scalers. But if I'm not mistaken the 4800 has a Faroudja DCDi vid processor. You can change the sharpness in the settings.

3. John S

John S Producer

Yes.. and for a simpler path for DVD, there are upconverting players.

I think screen size probably played a big roll in it not looking to hot on your Projo, but hard to say.

Scalers are neato devices, I'd like one, but they cost some buckos.

4. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Not really. Upscaling is a gimmick and doesn't change the real resolution that matters, your source.

5. John S

John S Producer

That would be Sami Kallio's opinion. I do not hold the same opinion. Upconverting is as good as it gets right now, even screen shots have proved the benefits.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I will go farther. This is not the realm of opinion. It is objectively incorrect.

Upscaling resolutions, especially when to an even multiple of the original resolution, and deisplayed at this higher resolution is always preferred. The theoretically best way to display *ANY* video source is upscaled to an infinite resolution. Obviously, you cannot "create* detail that is not present in the original source, so there is certainly a point of diminishing returns, and this point (in resolution) will be lower with poorer sources. However, upscaling can reveal detail that is present in the source but obscured by the nature of pixels as visible blocks, and aliasing.

Statements claiming that upscaling and displaying DVD past 480 (i or p) yields no benefits almost always come from users who haven't seen DVD displayed at 720, or 1080p. There is no contest subjectively, and it is explained objectively as well.

This all being said, the higher the quality and native resolution possible in the source, the higher quality your final image will be due to more detail possible, at whatever your final resolution is.