Video problem with Panasonic XP50

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steven Larson, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

I bought a used Panasonic XP 50 dvd player several months ago, to use with my Sony 34" HDTV. It wasn't until recently that I really started noticing something "wrong" with the picture.

I am pretty much a novice at home theater, so I don't know if there is a technical term for this, but on mostly vertical lines, I notice a diamond pattern, or a cross-hatching. I don't know if this is what is meant by "artifacting" or not. I really noticed it on the Extended Version of Return of the King, during the scene when the party rides up to Orthanc to talk with Saruman. The folds in Gandalf's robe had very noticable patterns in it.

I tried all three video modes on the XP50, with the same result.

I swapped out the DVD player, and put in my JVC XV-N5 Progressive scan, and the problem disappeared.

I bought the Panasonic because of the video processor it has, and I was expecting an awesome picture.

Any thoughts here? Any settings I should look for to change? I have been thru all of the menus, and don't see anything that might fix the problem. Or do I have a bum dvd player?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Do you have progressive output enabled in both the dvd player menu and in the display menu? If you don't have it enabled in both places you are only using 480i.

3. Steven Larson

Progressive output is enabled on the XP 50, and I believe it forces the TV to progressive, as I am unable to change the different modes once I start a dvd. I then went out and made sure the TV was in progressive mode before starting the movie, with the same result.

Are you talking about a different setting on the dvd player, or on the TV?

It is particularly noticeable on vertical lines, and when there is motion on screen. Is this what is called artifacting?

Steve

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Steve, enabling progressive scan in the XP units is a 2-step process. I think Greg was just asking you to confirm that you performed BOTH steps.

It sounds like a deinterlacing issue to me, and I agree with Greg, it sounds like Prog. Scan is off. Does the player's display read "PROGRESSIVE"?

5. Steven Larson

I will have to check on the display tonight after work.

Where is the second place to setup prog. scan? I was in the setup menu, and there is a setting to enable prog. scan, which is set. I can't find the second setting.

Steve

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

In Setup menu, select Progressive Out -- Enable. (That's probably the step you did.)

Hit Display button to bring up quick change menus, then hit up or down arrow til the Picture menu shows. Use left or right arrow til you're in Video Output field, then use up or down arrow again until 480p shows. (You probably missed this step ... I know I did with me XP30 until I asked on one of the forums [​IMG] )

That will make PROG OUT show in the player's LCD panel.

7. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Yup the two processes is correct.

If you're trying to bring up the menus while the unit is stopped, you need to press "Display" 3 times before the menu does appear, otherwise it's once during playing.

Luckily for the RP82/62/56 and some others, they have a LED light which indicates Progressive mode is enabled or not.

8. Steven Larson

Thank you all very much! That is exactly the problem! I feel like a bit of a dumb a** right now....I have never been in that display menu other than to check the time remaining a few times. I thought all I needed to do was to enable the progressive scan....The display on the front of the machine is very hard to read, and the manual (at least to me) was a bit on the obtuse side....At least my JVC has a nice light on the front when it is in progressive scan mode :b . The picture is awesome now....no more glitches....

Now, what is the best "cinema" mode to be in, Normal, 1 or 2? It seems I read somewhere that 1 was the best.

Thank you all again!

Steve

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Glad you're happy with the XP50! It is a great player. Don't feel like a dumb a because it is common that people don't set progressive on in the display menu. Usually it's the first thing we have people check when they have an issue with one has it is kind of an odd design.

I suggest using normal picture mode. Normal has everything correct has far as white levels, black levels, etc. I also suggest using Auto 1 as the deinterlacing mode. Auto 1 uses the Faroudja chips 3:2 pulldown detection to make deinterlacing decisions.

10. Steven Larson

Cool! That is exactly what I needed to know! [​IMG]

Steve

11. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Steven,

Normal and Auto 1 is fine.

12. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Steven, don't feel like a dumbass, I did the same thing and I agree, the manual is obtuse. (As is the design ... what, they don't want people ACCIDENTALLY enabling progressive scan when they select "progressive scan: enable" ????)

For me it was having to ask a forum why the player wasn't passing blacker-than-black .... (Bec. prog. scan wasn't enabled.)

Anyway, enjoy, this is a magnificent player.