Video out to tv, how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattV, Mar 11, 2003.

1. MattV

MattV Auditioning

I recently purchased a new TV which means that there is a Sony Wega free to be used in my bedroom. Since this is where my computer is I thought I might be able to use it as a very basic HTPC.

My Specs:

AMD Athlon 1.4 CPU
    512 mb Ram
    nVidia GeForce 2 MX 64mb
    Sony Wega fs100 27"

I am not sure how I have to hook up to the TV. If I use the TV does my monitor have to be disconnected? I know this is really basic stuff but I couldn't find it using the search engine this morning and now the server is too busy. Sorry and thanks in advance!

Matt

2. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

Under display settings in windows there should be an nvidia tab, which has an nview submenu. You should be able to output to an analog, digital or tv display. And I think nview lets you display on your pc and tv at the same time,(don't quote me). I have a geforce 4ti 4200 and I'm looking at those settings now. It has an auto detect button.
    Also there are new detonator drivers out at nvidia's website if you didn't know...

John

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

First thing: did you get a version of the video card with a composite and/or S-video connector? Some of the low-end versions just have VGA.

//Ken

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

And most video cards that output Svideo or Composite video are lower quality than even a $100 dvd player anyway. Half the point of HTPC is using high end video cards to passed high-def scaled DVD to Higher Res monitors.

If your TV only does 480i, I would suggest sticking with a nice set-top player.

5. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen Stunt Coordinator

If you have stuff that you want to watch on tv that isn't quickly converted to a format that plays in a dvd player, I suggest doing a s-video out from you video card (given that your card has it) and set the resolution to 640x480 since that is the resolution of ntsc sets. If you try ANYTHING other than 640x480, it will look like crap. I do this with my 32" ntsc and don't mind the quality of the stuff I watch on it (looks very similar to my dvd player once calibrated somewhat correctly). I do plan to upgrade to high def at some time in the future, but for now, the htpc is nice to have for simple stuff like mp3's and divx's (especially divx's w/ dolby digital!).

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So