What's new

Video out to reciever, then TV...Advantages??? (1 Viewer)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all.

Just got a Denon AVR2803 and am in the process of hooking everything up.

Is there any advantages to running the video out from the DVD player to the receiver then to the TV, rather then directly to the TV?

Thanks in advance,
dan

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well it basically stops the need of having multiple remotes. The inputs are all right there so when you switch the input on your reciever then you don't need to switch the input of the TV as well.

Basically it is for ease of use and doesn't provide much of an advantage except it makes you need only 1 remote instead of say 2 or 3.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Actually, if at all possible, you should hook up your video equipment directly to the TV. The more gizmos we attatch in the signal path, the more degredation is possible. You actually may or may not see the difference, but if your TV has a spot open, use it. Chris makes a good point though. So, if you don't see any degredation in picture quality, you may find hooking it up to the reciever easiest.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
My toshiba 32" was purchased just before component video became 'standard' equipment on decent tv's, so I have the dvd linked via s-cable.

I will leave the dvd hooked up directly to the tv then (will save me from having to buy another quailty s-cable). I also have the denon receiver coded to work the tv and dvd player, so techniqually I can use the one receiver to operate the dvd player and switch the tv to video 1.

Thanks for the replys

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
When you start getting more video devices then the advantages of running the video via the receiver will become apparent. If you run out of video in connectors on your tv then you connect all of the video devices to your receiver, then take the various video outputs from your receiver (s-vid component etc) to your tv and ise the receiver as a video switcher.

This is covered in the FAQ Primer area

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks