Video out making buzz noise

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sacha_C, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Jan 13, 2003
    The composite video out of my PC is connected to the A/V 3 input of my receiver along with the audio out from my PC.

I just connected the composite video out of my receiver to video in of my VCR so I can see my PC on the TV, but as soon as I connect the video out of the receiver to the video in of the VCR I hear this weak buzzing sound from the speakers.

Why is this happening? It's not really a problem because I never use my TV (I watch TV on my PC) and I'll be getting a projector soon, but I'd still like to know what's wrong.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Dec 30, 2001
    Sounds like a ground loop problem. Do you have cable TV or a satellite TV system connected to your VCR? If so, disconnect it and see if the buzzing goes away. If so, then you have a grounding problem with your TV feed.

Also, if you have the TV feed connected to your TV and the VCR is connected to the TV, then the ground loop can appear from that connection.

There can be other reasons (like a faulty VCR), but checking for a ground loop in your TV feed is a good first step.