What's new

VIDEO NOT PASSING THROUGH RECEIVER? (1 Viewer)

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
A friend if mine bought a package deal through Dell, which included a Samsung 55" LED and a Harman Kardon 1600 entry-level HT processor. I helped him hook it up, and whether we use HDMI out to TV, or even component video out, the TV picks up no signal from the processor. The receiver is obviously receiving the signal from his Time Warner cable box...while the TV is saying "no signal," we can hear the sound through the five speakers and sub. We've tried upgraded HDMI cables, no luck. The TV looks great when hooked up directly with HDMI from the cable box, so we know it's not the TV.

As I understand it, one of the most fundamental functions of the receiver is to simply pass video through to the monitor. When I hooked up my own Onkyo 875 there was no need to set it up in any way to pass through to TV, and in the Harman manual, no mention of any such action required.

I've told him I suspect the receiver is bad. Anyone out there ever seen such a thing?

Thanks !

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Took a quick look at the specs for the HK 1600, and it is a audio-video receiver and should, by definition, be able to output video. The only thing you need to check is that the other devices you've connected are using the same type of connections. While some AVRs will convert and even upconvert component, composite and s-video inputs for output via HDMI, hardly any lower-end units will do so. So the HK is probably only designed to send component to component and HDMI to HDMI. But it should be doing at least that. If it isn't, your friend needs to call Dell.

Regards,

Joe

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
Thanks Joe, all connections remained consistent. HDMI out to HDMI in, and when I tried component video, it was component video out from the AVR, to component video in to the TV. And the input to AVR is not the issue, as we can hear the sound from the cable box on the surround speakers.

It's as if the HK 1600 is blocking the video signal, and acting as a barrier between the original source (cable box) and the monitor (TV). My friend may be suspicious that I don't know what I'm doing (he's the type of guy who would have paid someone to hook all this up), but this is not rocket science.

I'm convinced the unit is faulty, even though it sounds fine. I'm sure when he calls Dell, or Harman Kardon, they'll beat him up about wiring and connection issues. But I told him to hold his ground and tell them we've trouble shot connections and it needs to be replaced.

Ed

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
Actually Joe, after reading your post again, one thing I didn't do is when trying component out, the signal from the cable box was coming into the AVR through HDMI in. I guess we could try to connect the AVR from the cable box through component in.....there's a chance that might work. But even if it does, we'd be bypassing HDMI, which is a superior connection, yes?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by macfan /forum/thread/300078/video-not-passing-through-receiver#post_3684847
Actually Joe, after reading your post again, one thing I didn't do is when trying component out, the signal from the cable box was coming into the AVR through HDMI in. I guess we could try to connect the AVR from the cable box through component in.....there's a chance that might work. But even if it does, we'd be bypassing HDMI, which is a superior connection, yes?
Since the cable companyonly broadcasts in 720p and 1080i, component cables will give the same quality as HDMI, for video.
Did you assign the HDMI or component inputs on the receiver, that you used, to what you were plugging in? Remember too, that digital cable is DBS, and not TV, as far as connections go. I'm not familiar with HK, but they're all similar. You may have to go into the receiver's setup menus and let it know that the DBS is going to use HDMI or component. It sounds like you may have missed this step. You may also need to go into the cable box's setup menus, and set video output and resolution, and audio output to "Dolby Digital".
See upper right side of page 24 of owner's manual. The box labeled "*INPUT SETUP*". It shows example of what I'm talking about. Double check this stuff.
Good luck!

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
Thanks Ed, I checked the manual, and that will not be a fix available to us. The problem is, the AVR is not getting the video signal to the TV. So no setup menus are availabe. On my Onkyo 875, I'm familiar with setup options, but all the setup menus on the TV screen, and you toggle around from there. We can't get there with the HK 1600 because it's not passing video through to the TV.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
So, the OSD isn't working either...........
A lot of receivers only allows the OSD to be viewed over composite connection, or s-video connection. Try those to see if you can get the OSD up.

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
I'm going over there in a little bit to give it one more try. We're going to try composite in and composite out. If that doesn't work, I fear he'll need a replacement. Whenever the AVR is hooked up to the TV, all it says is "no signal," no matter which input we try.

I figure I'll also try unplugging the unit and see if it'll reset, or at least take a few moments to realize how utterly worthless it is.

I remember when I set up my Onkyo, the moment I plugged it in to my TV, I saw the Onkyo logo. With this HK, only "no signal."

Proof again we get what we pay for, correct?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You shouldn't need a composite in, to get the OSD up. Just a composite out, or s-video out may do that. Once the OSD is up You can set the "Input Setup" for HDMI or component, whichever you want to use. You should be able to do all that using the receiver's display window too. It's smaller, so it's more trouble, but still doable. But, if you prefer to use the tv screen for OSD, that's ok. Good luck.

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
Well, I'm going to have to call Harman Kardon tomorrow. No matter what we do, the TV receives no signal from the AVR. When connected through input labeled HDMI 1, the unit correctly displays HDMI 1 as the input and the audio sounds fine through all 5 speakers and the sub. If we change channels on the cable box, you can hear each channel's audio as you search stations. It's as if the HK 1600 is blocking the video signal. I'm convinced the receiver is failing to perform one of its most basic functions, which is to pass video through to the TV.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've always found H/K receivers to be very easy to setup but I also have a lot of experience with them.

Also, you should be able to complete the setup using the remote and front panel display.

But still, you should have a video signal from the hdmi's output. There doesn't appear to be any settings to turn the hdmi video out on or off.

macfan

Grip
Real Name
ed
Thanks guys for trying to help me troubleshoot. I called Harman Kardon tech support just now and described the problem...they told me to take it to a shop here in Austin for repair under warranty. We'll see how that goes.

Best Regards,

Ed

Purs

Auditioning
Real Name
BTP
wondering if the shop got your unit fixed? I experienced the same problem with a new 1700. Took it back and got another 1700 after talking to HK tech support and doing a software reset on the unit with no change. Now have the 2nd unit at home doing the exact same thing as the first. Just as you describe above.... :(

avsalesman

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Hearring
I just bot and installed a avr1700. SAME problem, no hdmi video output. All 3 hdmi sources (fios tv, bluray, appletv) display fine direct to the tv. The problem is the receiver not passing video thru to the monitor output. I wondering if this could be hdcp issue. I've seen this before with pro gear. I get audio no problem. Manual says little nothing about this issue. It's the weekend so HK support is closed. Anyone no where to get a firmware update?

avsalesman

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Hearring
Also did reset per manual. Soft power down and the hold surround mode button down on front panel until "reset" shows on units display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks