What's new

Video Noise and Big Screen Televisions (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
I recently purchased a 50" Hitachi LCD Projection and I am still trying to decide if I want to keep it. There is a lot of "noise" around objects and around words....I can adjust the sharpess and there is also a "noise reduction" setting. I usually put it on high noise reduction. However, the picture seems dull then. Is this normal with big screen TVs? is there something different I should be doing?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
"noise" can mean a lot of things.

What are you feeding it? It could also be the LCD noise, but you'd have to be really close to see that.

I'll bet it's probably the source you are feeding it though, and it's just a large picture that will show how crappy regular-type sources are.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I find that noise reduction usually increases artifacts. Your possibly hurting the image with the noise reduction cranked. I wouldn't set it to the highest level. I have a pioneer Elite that has 5 levels of noise reduction processing, 1 being lowest and 5 highest. I never go above 1.

ToddJ

Second Unit
I'm starting to notice that this "noise" pattern seems to be almost a checkered pattern. You can't see it all over the screen, all of the time, but when I do see it, it looks almost grid like. It might be on a few of the characters in the foreground, but not necessarily in the background.

How are Toshiba dvd players? that is the kind I have, and was wondering if that is the problem...

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
At first I thought it might be excessive edge enhancement, which that set has as delivered from the factory (but it can be calibrated out), but after reading your second post I'm wondering if you're just seeing the screen door effect. It manifests itself when a viewer sits too close to an LCD projector.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The "noise' On my new big screen is definitely related to the craptacular source I'm feeding it. It goes away when I pop in my dvd player(Interlaced) or fire up the Xbox.

I'm just saving up a few more dollars to afford an HD box and put up an antennae. That should take care fo that issue.

ToddJ

Second Unit
see that is the problem...there is noise when I play a DVD on my progressive scan DVD player. maybe I need to try a different brand. I have a Toshiba

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks