What's new

Video into A/V receiver or TV? (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Just starting to look at some entry-level receivers and wondering what's the preferred video hookup--from DVD player to reciever to TV, or straight from a dvd player to the TV? I believe you can control the DVD through the receiver remote if the former, correct? Any other advantages?

Thanks all!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jim: it makes the system easier to use if you run the video through the receiver. This is important for the SO and family.
I highly recommend running SVideo from all devices through the receiver, then a single SVideo cable from the receiver to the TV. This puts the receiver into control of the switching. If you have a VCR/device that does not offer SVideo output, you can buy a little $20 adaptor from Radio Shack.
For the slightly better video, you can ALSO hook up component video cables straight from the DVD player to the TV. Then you just have to take the extra step of flipping to the component input for DVD watching. (Just make sure to switch the TV back to see the SVideo feed)
A good universal remote can usually handle most things. A inexpensive one is the One For All Cinema 7. This is usually $24, but I have seen it as low as $19 at a nearby Longs Drugs. Very powerfull for the price.
Hope this helps.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unless you have a large number of sources, and too few inputs for them on your TV, there is essentially NO benefit to running your video through your receiver. Even with a receiver which has upconvert capability, you are still at the mercy of the quality of the source device, as video quality will not be improved by the receiver.

Then you just have to take the extra step of flipping to the component input for DVD watching.
I have to disagree here. This is NOT an "extra" step. Since you do have to switch the video input to use the receiver's output, you gain nothing, since this is the same thing as switching it for a given source. 1 or 2 button pushes is all it saves you, which is pointless, IMO.

The fewer things in the path of the signal, the better.

Controlling the DVD player's functions has nothing to do with how it is hooked to the receiver, with the exception of some "same brand" special connections. As mentioned, a universal and/or programmable remote solves this.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

This seems like common sense to me, but all the receivers for HT use are A/V, so I figured I must be missing something.

So, if not for the ease of having all audio and video control on your receiver remote, or too few inputs on your TV, there's no advantage?

Thanks, guys.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I have a related question.

Suppose I have video sources with a variety of signal/cable types--VCR with RCA composite, DVD with component, and LD with Svid. If I connect each of these to the receiver--say a Sony STR-DA4ES (which I haven't gotten yet but will try to soon)--will I be able to only connect the TV to the receiver with component cables, to the receiver's monitor out? Or will I also need to make RCA composite and Svid connections to the TV as well? I guess the basic question is if the receiver will convert the varying incoming video formats to one outgoing format. If I can do that, that would be great. If not, if I still have to make three separate connections between the receiver and the TV, then there's really no point in connecting the video through the receiver in the first place.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
will I be able to only connect the TV to the receiver with component cables, to the receiver's monitor out?
Nope. The receiver will NOT convert one signal type to the other. You will now have to run all 3 types of cables from the receiver to the TV.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
will I be able to only connect the TV to the receiver with component cables, to the receiver's monitor out? Or will I also need to make RCA composite and Svid connections to the TV as well?
Most receivers that I've seen only allow one type of monitor out, and this varies from mfg. to mfg.

Some, such as mine, will only output if the video signal coming in is the same type of connection, and the other is disabled, ie; to use S-video monitor out, I have to have only S-vid coming in, and the composite no longer works and vice versa.

Others will allow different types of connections to be converted and output via whichever. I would consult your manual to find out how yours handles this.

In the case of the component video, if you only have one component video connection, then there ISN'T a reason to involve the receiver at all, but the rest of them could be.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

For me, that ain't worth sweatin' over. So I guess the abundance of, or lack thereof, various A/V connections on a receiver is irrelevant, for me. At least the ones that I could just as easily send directly to the TV.

Thanks, all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks