Video Interference

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John CJ, Nov 13, 2002.

1. John CJ

John CJ Auditioning

Hi, I'm new to the group was hoping to get help with a problem I have with my new setup. I have a Onkyo TX SR600 receiver and Toshiba SD4800 DVD hooked up to my old(ran out of money)TV. I have digital cable with s-video and coax-audio out into my receiver and then s-video out to a Radio Shack RF Modulator to the TV. My problem is that I get a wave like shimmering interference when playing DVDs. The interference for the most part goes away if I analog input into the receiver with no digital. I have tryed optical digital instead of coax but it made no difference ( digital cords are Monster - ouch!). I have also moved components and wires around but the wave just changes patterns. I could just run all channel analog audio out of the DVD but I was, perhaps wrongly, assuming the Onkyos digital dolby decoding would be better than the dvds. Does this sound like I need to upgrade s-video or cable TV cords? Or am I missing something obvious? Thanks for any input, John

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

You've got a Radio Shack Mod with an S-video input? I didn't know they had such a thing. Anything you gain with S-video will be lost once you pass through a modulator.

Is DVD the ONLY thing that gets this interference?
    Have you tried using composite video from your affected components to the modulator?

It sounds like you're picking up RF interference through a poorly shielded cable, or due to a bad modulator.

I would try a good, shielded composite video cable and run it directly from the DVD video out to the modulator input... this will take two s-cables and your Onkyo out of the loop. You may want to use your digital coax cable for this test, as it is well shielded and should work well for this purpose. If you still have interference, you'll know it's either the DVD player, the modulator, or the TV.

My gut feeling is the the modulator is picking up RF interference. It should have a channel selector on it... try the other channel(s). Modulators are usually at fault for the type of interference you describe. Even if it's only when playing DVD's the DVD player may be generating the interference, to which the mod is overly sensitive. Try relocating the modulator... separate it from the rest of the gear by 4-6 feet, and plug it into a different outlet if possible.

If you still have trouble, try the DVD player on another set (a friend's, perhaps), with and without the modulator.

3. John CJ

John CJ Auditioning

Yea, Radio Shack has the s-video modulator with gold plated terminals for $10 more.

The DVD is the only thing I get interference with, cable TV and vcr are fine. And only when inputing digital audio into the Onkyo.

I did try composite and still had the waves but it might be worth trying a better sheilded cable. I'll also try taking the receiver out of the video loop.

One thing I didnt try is pulling the modulator away from every thing else - I'll try that also.

Thanks for all the ideas, I appreciate it.