Video Insertion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JoshGG, May 27, 2004.

1. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

I am trying to overlay graphics from a powerpoint presentation onto TV. I want to be able to see TV behind the graphics I am playing. Anyone know how to insert video onto all channels of TV? Thanks.

2. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

If you want to do it "one off" then you can embed media files (like an MPG or WMV files) into powerpoint (the latest version at least).

If you want to do it "on the fly" i.e. like they do it on CNN or CBS news, you better get yer wallet ready. This is NOT a trivial thing to do.

Daffy Arthur King
    with the brain of a duck

3. Brent Smith

Brent Smith Agent

Hi,

I think I understand what you are trying to do but I need you to clear up a few things. Can you explain what you mean by "I want to be able to see TV behind the graphics I am playing"? [​IMG] Does the computer you are using for the Powerpoint presentation have a either a TV Out type card or a composite video out? and the TV you are using does it have the appropriate connections?

Thanks,

Brent

4. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

We heres what I have. A store with 50-70 TV's running cable TV. We need to run advertising "on top" of the cable TV, regardless of what channel is on various TV's, so the ads will still show up. All the TV's wiring is home run back to one distribution panel.
    I have searched high and low for some way to overlay my composite video graphics on top of TV, and came up empty. Thanks

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I'm guessing that will be tough. The problem is that the TV antenna cable carries all channels at once, all mixed together. So you would need to simultaneously tune all the channels, insert your video, and then -- here's the hard part -- remodulate all the channels back onto the wire so that the regular TV tuners will work.

Think of it this way: get a computer with a TV tuner card, one computer for each channel. Have the TV software on each computer play a different channel on the desktop as wallpaper. Put whatever you want on top. So WYSIWYG. Now here's where you act like the head-end of your local cable TV company: you need some hardware to convert the WYSIWYG computer picture (and don't forget the audio) back into NTSC, modulate that on the correct frequency for each channel, and put all those channels simultaneously onto the wire that feeds the TVs in the store.

Now, the cable TV companies must have hardware that does this, because that's what they do. In fact, they probably have hardware to insert the same stuff on every channel, which they would use for EAS/EBS ("this is only a test"), so you wouldn't need separate computers. But I really don't know any of the details; I would guess it ain't cheap.

6. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

I would agree that this might not be cheap, but would definately explore all options. If anyone knows what
    item(s) can do this, or someone, or some company that might be able to tackle this, it would be much appreciated.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Don't sports bars do this all the time with banners running across the TV screens advertising upcoming events? Try asking a sports bar how they do it.

8. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

I thought so too, but have been unable to find someone who has done it!

9. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

The only people I have found that do this just insert their graphics using an external tuner and modulate them together and play on channel 125, etc. This is fine, but when a customer turns the channel on the TV, the channel changes and we lose the ads!

10. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

Well maybe you should limit the number of channels that the customer can access...

I mean, how about having a DVD or 2 made up with your advertising. Then have a couple or 3 channels that are done via VIVO on a ATI video card or whatever, and thats it.

Have you ever considered that the reason the customers will change your channels is BECAUSE they want to get a station without your advertising?

Just thinking...

Daffy Arthur King
    with the brain of a duck

11. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

Yes, I know the customer don't WANT to see the advertising, but too bad. The advertising is not constant, but when it does come on, I want them to see it regardless of the channel its on.
    I previously went into the TV menu to erase all channels but the one we play, but given a day or two, and enoght people screwing with the TV's, and the other channels are back.
    I would really consider paying some $$ to get this working how I want it. Thanks

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I could do it for about $15,000-20,000.

13. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

Could you? Would this be a product I could use in any of our stores, regardless of how many TV's?

14. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

Let's talk then if someone can help me on this.

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I mentioned it because I have seen a system that could, in theory, do what you're looking for. There was a company that resold sat service from Dish to an apartment full of people. There was a modified sat tuner that supplied the signals which were remodulated into the carrier channels for apartments. For the people in the apts, it was just like having cable...

I would imagine I could build something like that for $15k. You could use it to insert the overlays and remodulate.

16. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

So if this exists, or can be built, it would have to be inexpensive enough that we could justify putting this in all of our offices and stores. $15K for each unit would break the bank! So is the $15K for initial R&D? If so, how much for more units?

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Lemme work up some numbers... will be in touch

-Vince

18. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I used to do this all the time, I used a trusty old Amiga and a genlock. Works great!

19. JoshGG

JoshGG Extra

How does it work? How much $??

20. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I'm still a bit confused on what you're trying to do. Is this image similar to what you want to do? sorry it took me a long time to draw this, hopefully it's clear!

[​IMG]