video inputs and outputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by jack w, Nov 26, 2003.

1. jack w

jack w Agent

What is the purpose of all those video inputs and outputs on the back of my marantz sr7300 reciever?

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

All I know is there are enough composite and S-video I/O's on most receivers (unless you have a TON of stuff) and we need more component video and digital I/O's.

I have yet to figure out why they only have 2 in, 1 out for component video. Even on the REALLY expensive stuff.

We will see DVI switching before too long on receivers.

3. jack w

jack w Agent

that didnt answer my question.Am i suppsed to route all my video through my reciever and if so....why?

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Jack:

There is a well put-together first-timers reference in the Home Theater Basics area of the forum. If you haven't read it, please do. It will answer many of your questions.

A short answer: A receiver or preamp/processor acts as the brain of your home theater, processing signals chosen by the viewer. For convenience, the receiver has all the plugs (inputs) necessary to handle the variety of devices that are included in many home theaters (satellite boxes, cable boxes, cd players, dvd players, video game consoles etc. The receiver accepts those signals, processes the signals (, stereo, dolby surround, dolby digital, DTS)and sends the video signal to the monitor (TV). There's no requirement that everything be plugged into the receiver. The plugs are there for convenience. Many people (myself included) run video connectors directly from the source (DVD player) to the monitor on the assumption that this method reduces the chances of electrical interference.

OK, not so short answer. But the Basics area really will help you.
    Welcome to the Forum. You'll find many great people here willing to take the time to help.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Because I have 7 video sources and my TV only has 2 inputs. All 7 go into the receiver and only 1 out to the TV. The receiver then switches the video for me when I select an input. not only is it a convenience, bu tnecessary in my case.

You don't have to run video through the receiver, but it is there if you want to.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

^^ Only time. Back when I bought my first digital receiver I had to struggle to find S-video switching, and it only had S-video for several inputs. Now it is common on ever input on ever receiver.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John