1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

video input ????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by richArm, Jan 19, 2005.

1. richArm

richArm Auditioning

i think i need help in the video input area. i got the 4805 the a couple of weeks ago from costco. i like the picture, but is seems to change in quality alot from source to source. dvd's tend to be the best. ps2 seems real fuzzy on script screens, but just ok in the actual games( focus dosn't seem to help). regular tv is acceptable since im only running a roof mount ant. right now. i am at about a 13.5' throw distance with the bigger focus ring at its largest image. will closing in a foot or so help the image quality any? i can move it up to maybe 20"s closer if need be. also is there a better input cable that i should be using from the ps2( currently using factory ps2 cable)? one more question sinse im here isn't the 4805 suposed to be able to change aspect ratio? i thought that meant you could watch wide screen in full screen mode, i think i was mistaken about that. any help would be great, thanks o one more thing, i cant seem to get the hour glass effect to go away, even with the keystone adjmt

2. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

If you put it in "Letterbox" aspect ratio mode then your TV image will fill a 16:9 screen area very nicely, but it cuts off the top and bottom of the image. This is fine for a lot of TV shows, though -- especially shows that are broadcast in letterbox format. Your remote has a button for quick switching, and you can also change it via the menu (top left button on the remote).

3. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

One thing you'll notice with the 4805 and other projectors is how inferior some sources are. Your experience is exactly what's going out over the airwaves. You can't "add" quality to a signal, the 4805 just displays a better picture when the signal is better (hence DVDs--but those can vary widely as well).

The 4805 can change aspect ratios, there are four and you cycle through them on the remote with the aspect ratio button. The first is native (without using the internal scalers), the second is 4:3, the third is 16:9 and the fourth is letterbox. As far as I know there isn't a way to watch "widescreen" as "full screen". Since your projector normally shows 16:9, I don't understand why you'd want to cut off the information and throw it away, it'll just degrade the picture. What you could do (and I don't recommend it) is to put it in letterbox mode if what's bothering you are the thin black lines when you watch a Cinemascope film. Remember regular tv is 4:3, HD is 16:9, some movies are 4:3, some are 1.85 and some are 2.2 and some are 2.35 (changed over the years to 2.4). The last two formats (70mm and 35mm Cinemascope) have black bars on the top and bottom on the picture.

John