Video Input on receiver?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RussellTodd, May 25, 2004.

1. RussellTodd

RussellTodd Stunt Coordinator

I have an Sony STR DE425 receiver. However, I don't understand what the purpose of the video input and output jacks serve. I have to coax cable from the wall into my digital cable box from the tv cable company. From there I run 3 RCA cables(video, Left and Right audio) from the cable box to my VCR and sony receiver. With the video line going to the VCR and the two audio cable into my sony receiver. The S-Video componet on my TV is used for playstation. I don't understand why/what/how the video ins and outs are used on my sony reciever. Everything seems to works fine as is. But I am wondering if I am missing something. What's the purpose of the video in and out on the sony receiver.

Forgive my ignorance

Thanks

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It is for using the receiver to do all video/audio switching. When all video is routed through the receiver and the receiver only has one output to the TV, you only have to switch between inputs at the receiver. That way you can leave your TV on the input connected to the receiver's output and not have to switch multiple components to get the A/V input you want.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is also covered extensively in the primer, which might help.

Why receivers have video ins and outs by Neil Joseph
    Options for Routing Audio & Video by Ted Lee

4. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Jeff did a good job explaining the principle. I so have a few questions and suggestions.

Does the Sony have two SVHS inputs and one output? If it does, connect your cable box (if it has SVHS) and PS to your receiver and then your receiver to your TV.

One question regarding the VCR...if you're taping shows, aren't you missing sound? You might want to check connection Cable Box -> VCR -> Receiver -> TV and see if you lose any quality by doing so.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> cable box - VCR - Receiver - TV

You need this in order to record. If you also want the direct path:
    cable box - TV
    you need switch boxes or, if it is an antenna coax connection, splitters. Two way unpowered splitters always deliver less than half the signal strength to each side even if the device on the other side is turned off. This may result in a degraded picture.

>>> missing sound

If the cable box is delivering its output via an antenna coax cord as channel 3 or 4, you don't need audio cables.

If the cable box is delivering its video output to a VCR from an RCA jack or an S-video jack, you do need audio cables as well connected to your VCR.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm