video help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Johnson, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Stunt Coordinator

my 30" crt tv is starting to die, so i'd like to replace it with new technology - a HDTV. i've read up on the different types, and i prefer the plasma displays (or maybe sed if i can wait).

the problem is, in a showroom i visited, i thought the pictures looked terrible (on all HDTVs - lcd, sxrd, etc.). the source used was satellite tv not HD. the dvds looked great on the plasma, but not regular tv channels. is this a condition of HDTVs, they need a high definition source to look good? will broadcast HDTV look great on these tvs (current in my area only some programming is in HDTV)?

i currently only use roof antenna/broadcast programming, and i don't see the incentive of paying for cable or satellite tv if the picture isn't any better (digital channels on cable or satellite are even more expensive, right?). i don't need more channels, i just want a great looking picture, but it seems moving to a HDTV is actually going to make my tv picture look worse!?

any advice or help out there for me?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, considering how you only watch OTA, why not make sure you have an HD tuner? A lot of OTA content is broadcast in HD now, so it will look a lot better than SD content.

3. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Stunt Coordinator

the plasma would have a built in HD tuner, but it doesn't seem the content is really there yet, and anything non-HD would look blah. i'm seriously considering a 36"crt and buying a sed in a few more years when the content is out there.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

In my opinion, the reason that SD images sometimes look worse than HD ones on properly adjusted and calibrated displays is because of the comparison of the two. My 9 year old granddaughter sounds pretty darn good on the piano until a concert pianist sits down after her. Once you see a High Definition signal it's real hard to accept the quality of the SD images any more. If all you ever saw were SD images then I feel you wouldn't be so harsh on HD sets displaying SD material. Of course, you mention that you did your assessment at a store and these venues are notorious for having mis-adjusted sets for a number of reasons which I won't go into here.

And as to "the content not being out there" in HD this depends a lot of where you are located and what your budget is for programming. If you are located where you can get The Dish Network and the local channels in HD (either over the air or via local feeds in some markets) the number of HD channels is currently around 30 and growing. In my case this includes network transmissions, Premium channels (HBO & Showtime, for example) a slew of specialty stations (like the amazing DiscoveryHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN and ESPN2), and 15 VOOM channels of 24/7 HD content in 5.1 DD sound. Add to that some PPV and other stations like UniversalHD, etc. etc. and I currently get ove 1700 hours of HD programming weekly. Whereas a few years ago I had to search for HD programming, now it's just the opposite. I would say that well over half of my viewing is HD content and if all network shows were in HD (they are not for some logistical reasons, like Survivor) then that number would probably be closer to 90%.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where the content is accessible to you then HD is not a future thing - it's here today in a major way.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

And on a maladjusted monitor SD channels will look like crap. [​IMG] Befoer I did an Digital VE adjustment on my 720p HD LCoS set, the SD channels looked especially hideous. Then a week to two later I hit the wrong button fumbling with the new remote and unknowingly switched from my calibrated settings to one of the JVC presets and again the video quality went to hell - but much worse on the SD stations than on the HD ones. After fooling around with the settings a bit I found a major factor was the sharpness control, which was turned way up with the factory settings. This made the SD stations look grainy, blocky and just generally lousy. SD stations and DVD actually look very good on to my eye on this set - when compared to how they looked on my old analog RPTV - even with the revelation of HD.

Regards,

Joe